Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome tabs disappearing when I click on them

Best Answer RKinner , 13 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

Touchpads are often the cause of odd things happening.  Go into Control Panel and find your Touchpad (may be under Mouse) and try turning off Tapping and make it as insensitive as you can.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

This has been an on and off deal for the last week, when I click on a bookmark or any link to open a page, the page opens in a new tab next to the one I'm working on, I click on the tab (not the red X) and the entire tab disappears, in addition to this, literally nothing is clickable (ex:  settings, address bar, bookmarks, etc...).  I have run a Kaspersky scan, an eset scan, ccleaner and Malware Antibytes, got rid of a few nuisances but nothing terrible.  It works fine for a couple hours and starts in again.  There is no specific page that sets it off, it just starts doing it out of nowhere.  Things work fine in Firefox and Internet Explorer so I'm guessing it is a Chrome specific issue.  I have reset Chrome settings and restarted the laptop, uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome... no luck.  I really prefer Chrome over FF or IE even though it's a resource hog...  It's a hit or miss and I've tried everything I can think of.  

Edited to add that I can't use drag and drop feature to move files, nor can I right click on a file and move it.  I have to open the document and click "Save as" and save it to the folder I need it to be in.  And now, for a new twist, if I leave a browser open and the laptop unattended it will open 20 to 30 new tabs all by itself.  At that point my only option is to use the task manager and end all running processes to close the endless windows/tabs that have been opened.

I started in the virus removal forum but the techs there don't believe it's a virus issue and has sent me over here...

Hoping one of the geniuses here can help me.  Thanks!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

It sounds like you might have a sticky key.

Try the 30 day demo version of this keytest program

http://www.passmark....cts/keytest.htm.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
I'll try that, thanks. Over in the virus forums they thought it might have been a sticky control key. But if this program will check all of them it might solve my problems. Will report back.... thanks again

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Well, the key test shows that all keys are working properly.  That is if I did it right.  It was pretty straightforward so I don't think I screwed it up... 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

It could be that a key just sticks sometimes so run the test again when you definitely have the problem.

Also go into Control Panel, Ease of Access Center, Make the mouse Easier to Use.  Make sure none of the boxes are checked. 

Click on Mouse Settings.

Make sure it doesn't have any boxes checked.

Go to http://unixpapa.com/js/testmouse.htmlin each browser.  Click on 

click here to test

You should see something like this in the box on Chrome:

mousedown   which=1 button=0 buttons=1
mouseup     which=1 button=0 buttons=0
click       which=1 button=0 buttons=0

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

IE result:

mousedown   which=1 button=0 buttons=5
mouseup     which=1 button=0 buttons=4
click       which=1 button=0 buttons=4

Chrome result:

FF result:

Now what does all this mean LOL!

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Just wondering if it could be the touchpad... this is the goofiest thing I've ever seen.  Ran the keytest again, still says all are working properly, but a faulty key is really the only thing that makes sense at all

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

Touchpads are often the cause of odd things happening.  Go into Control Panel and find your Touchpad (may be under Mouse) and try turning off Tapping and make it as insensitive as you can.

How many buttons does your mouse have?  It appears to give a different result than mine.  Note the test also allows you to right click and double click.

Left click in Chrome:

mousedown   which=3 button=2 buttons=2
mouseup     which=3 button=2 buttons=0
contextmenu which=3 button=2 buttons=0

Double click:
dblclick    which=1 button=0 buttons=0

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

I have a left and a right button and the scroll wheel that is also clickable.  It never occurred to me to try the other buttons.  I'm going to try disabling the touchpad and rerun the mouse test.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Oh my GOD!  I disabled the touchpad and went to test the mouse again and the tabs are no longer disappearing!  At any rate I still tested the mouse.

Here are the results for Chrome:

mousedown   which=2 button=1 buttons=4
mouseup     which=2 button=1 buttons=0
click       which=2 button=1 buttons=0

IE results:

contextmenu which=3 button=2 buttons=2
click       which=2 button=1 buttons=0

FF results:

Edited by ColtsFan18, 13 January 2016 - 12:42 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Looks like you found the culprit.  I always turn off most of the touchpad just because it sometimes makes things happen that I don't want.

Interesting that your mouse test number now look like mine.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Well, I have no idea what it should look like but if it matches someone with a clean machine I'm happy :)

I had my touchpad on my old laptop disabled from the inside out because it was more trouble then it was worth.  As I type I'd be hitting it and it would change windows , type things I didn't want it to, etc...  I'm just SO happy that we found the issue.  I won't miss that touchpad at all and I can now work in tabs without having to go through 6 extra steps and I learned a few things along the way.  Thanks to ALL of you that helped out!