Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Doing a little upgrading would love some advice (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 10 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

The speed that you get also depends on how busy the network that you are on is. Your computer supposedly shipped with one of the two options below, do you know which yours is or are the specs... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Hello,

During a recent check of my computers upload and download speeds it had me wondering, am I getting what I am paying for? The truth of the matter is I have no idea. I was hoping that someone could tell me if I should upgrade my wireless/network card.

I also am looking to put some USB 3.0 ports into my computer. I picked out a card to go into the back but I want a port for up front. I have an empty drive bay to put a card reader into but am unsure as to what to get to put up front.

Some advice would be awesome!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello BrianR1976,

Have you tried a Ping test, see here

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, case and the PSU. 

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Ping test results: 32ms, down:90.33, up:12.06.

I have cox premier internet that advertises 100mb download speeds and 10 upload, so I guess seeing that I am pretty close. A test I ran a week ago was far slower than this so it could have been while I was having computer problems.

I have an HP p7-1380t. It's fairly stock. I think I added a better graphics card when it was being built. Nothing aftermarket in it though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

The speed that you get also depends on how busy the network that you are on is.

Your computer supposedly shipped with one of the two options below, do you know which yours is or are the specs here incorrect.

• 15-in-1 multimedia card reader + 2 USB 3.0 + 1 headphone jack + 1 microphone jack
  • 15-in-1 multimedia card reader + 2 USB 2.0 + 2 USB 3.0 + 1 headphone jack + 1 microphone jack

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

[bleep] I never realized that two of the ports on the card reader was already a 3.0 port! Guess I don't need any 3.0 ports after all.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Bonus  :)

Is that your questions answered, anything else we can help you with.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I think that's it. Awesome and thanks for your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad we could help and you are most welcome  :)