Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Auto shutdown and now not starting (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

Evi1luka, Swap in a known good brand 500W minimum of bronze rated PSU and hope that your other hardware is still usable, the present PSU is old and basically junk quality and I a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Evi1luka

Evi1luka

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So... I have recently upgraded my computer. I added 8gb (2x4gb) of ram, a ssd hard drive and an upgraded graphics card. I have upgraded computers before so all checks were done before upgrading and that the power supply I have (650w) is more than enough.

After a complete win7 clean install on my new ssd all was going well. All updates done etc. I downloaded all the up to date drivers for my motherboard graphics card. I then downloaded a free game that came with the card and started playing. All was going okay. I did notice that the graphics card was getting really hot. So I adjusted the settings so the card fans would turn on at a lower temperature. After playing for a little while longer all was good. I shut down the computer.

The next morning I turned it on and started playing the game again. All was going well, with the fan adjustment the graphics card was nice and cool. Then the computer shut down. No warnings just turned off. I left it to wait. Turned off the psu at the switch and unplugged. I left the computer for 5 mins and came back to it. I replugged it in and turned on the psu switch. The fan leds and the fans starting working for a split second then go off. The computer does not start.

The graphics card light remains white meaning it is receiving power.

So far I have:

Unplugged everything and started the build again - no change

Reset the cmos - no change

Removed ram until one stick remained and no buzzer noises - no change

Removed the graphics card completely and attempTed to start the computer - no change still a quick flash of leds and minute fan movement.

Other than that I am stumped as to what the heck is going on...

Motherboard: Gigabyte ultra durable GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX 3.4 quad core
Ram: corsair 4x 4gig
Graphics: strix gforce gtx 970 Asus
Psu: ezcool 650w

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:    Evi1luka,

Swap in a known good brand 500W minimum of bronze rated PSU and hope that your other hardware is still usable, the present PSU is old and basically junk quality and I am sorry to hear that you have used it near your expensive hardware  :( see reviews here

The one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the two attached links here and here

PSU database here

What one user said about the ezcool 650w "For the love of all things holy, don't buy this power supply. Hamsters on running wheels are a more reliable source of power than this."

Evi1luka

Evi1luka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the heads up!

I will get a new one tomorrow!

Does bronze refer to quality? If so I have seen gold ones online. Would these by guessing be better?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Bronze, silver, gold and platinum are efficiency ratings, anything less than bronze should be avoided end especially when you have an add on video card.

Ratings explained here

Let us know what you are thinking of purchasing and we will take a look for you.

You are welcome btw  :)

Edit to add.

Just so that you are aware, your MB was not one of Gigabytes success stories and if you take a look at the Newegg reviews here you will see why.

Edited by phillpower2, 12 January 2016 - 04:38 PM.
As per the above.

Evi1luka

Evi1luka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Phil!

I have a bronze corsair installed that has instantly solved it. Also cable management was easier as the cables were braided and modular.

Thanks for all the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad to hear that all is now well and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)