Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window XP - Please Install Microsoft RAS Error

• Please log in to reply

Heck

Heck

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Notice this same problem posted on 7/29/04 by Bullseye. No resolution was noted. My dad has same problem on XP Home. Can anyone let me know what the fix was.

Here is the orginal Problem Noted:

I cannot connect to my IP. I have Netzero. Recently, when trying to connect, I receive an error that has a red dot with a white x through it. No number.
It says "Please Install RAS" in the heading, in the text box it says:

No ras installation found on your system Please install Microsoft ras and then restart netzero.

I have followed all the FAQ's and it appears everything is as it should be. Netzero tells me it is a microsoft problem. I have searched everything on the Microsoft website, but nothing works.

I have my microsoft XP installation disk, but have no idea what may be missing or how to download it. Any ideas?

What happens is I click on the Netzero icon, the window comes up stating it is connecting. I never get to the window where I put in my user name and password, the process stops and I get the above message. Anything you can do to help will be appreciated.

Needless to say, I have stayed late at work to get access to the internet. Thanks! s. :tazz:

Edited by Heck, 15 June 2005 - 09:56 AM.

Advertisements

Heck

Heck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: I'm new at doing this let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
See related articles below. Everything I see has been for Windows NT or Windows 2000. Any chance NetZero is a little confused about your system?

Mico$oft Support

This one seems the best and covers all

Ron

Heck

Heck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: Thanks, got it fixed yesterday. After about another 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft. They had me try the fixes you suggeted plus all lot of other fixes but to no avail.

Everything was installed correctly. It just didn't think it was. What finally worked was creating a new profile to log onto XP - Home. No one seems to know why that worked at this time but it did.

As soon as the new profile was created and logged on under it - PROBLEM GONE.

Hope this will help someone else in the future. It would have really helped me if the person that had the problem before had posted how they got it fixe.

Again, Thanks very much for you help.

Have a Great Day.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thank you for the update....I don't see why that would work either, as ras is a machine servce, not a user service....but I will file it in the memory bank for further notice.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Everything was installed correctly.  It just didn't think it was.  What finally worked was creating a new profile to log onto XP - Home.  No one seems to know why that worked at this time but it did. 

As soon as the new profile was created and logged on under it - PROBLEM GONE.

View Post

Glad you got it fix and I will also file the information away. Win XP, both Home and Pro, seem to have their own little quirks. I think that some files used in the old profile were not used in your new profile so did not generate the problem.

Thank you for posting a happy solution. :tazz:

Ron

Heck

Heck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: Thanks again.

Glad there was a better soloution than reloading the whole machine and installing service pack 2 through a dial-up. You know how long that takes.

Have a Great one.