Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading components question.

• Please log in to reply

Akanezora

Akanezora

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello, I was looking to upgrade some components on an assembled computer that I bought about a year ago mainly for casual gaming.
The current specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD A10-6700 (4 CPUs ~ 3.7GHZ)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8670D
RAM: 8.00GB
MOBO: K30BF_M32BF_A_F_K31BF (FM2+ )
CASE: ASUS M32BF

Any other relivant specs, feel free to ask.

I'm basically a novice when it comes to computers but figured an upgrade was definitely needed.
GPU seems like the natural place to start but I recently learned that certain GPUs will only work with certain MOBOs.

What would be the best GPU to upgrade to with my given specs?

---

The supposed minimum system requirements for the game that I mostly play:

CPU: Intel CoreDuo E6 series OR Athlon64 X2 6400+
RAM: 2 GB
GPU: GeForce9600GT 512 MB OR AMD Radeon HD 4830 512 MB
DRIVE: 6 GB of free space

I'm playing on all low settings and 800x600 resolution to barely hit 60 fps at times.

I apologize for being a novice and thank you in advance!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: Akanezora.

A fair computer but, as with nearly all HP/Dell/Asus rigs, they are let down, for upgrading, by a weak PSU.

Yours will have come with a 300/350 Watt one, probable with no PCI-E cable to give extra power to a GPU.

Without upgrading the PSU, the highest tier card you could use would be a Nvidia GTX 750 ti, as most draw the 75W required from the PCI slot.

Some idea of the performance, > http://www.guru3d.co..._review,10.html

This is the card I recommend, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487028

Advise you measure from the inside of the rear slot cover, along the length of the PCI-E  slot, to the hard drive cage.   The card measures, 9.50"L x 4.38"H.

Akanezora

Akanezora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Awesome, thank you for the prompt reply.

I will give it some thought, I might just gift what I have atm to a family member and start anew.

My budget is going to be around $700-1.2k and was considering buying a new rig altogether now with what you mentioned.

Although, as I'm a novice when it comes to parts and compatibility I was leaning more towards buying an assembled rig but would I be losing alot versus doing it myself?

I've saved some nice looking PCs for reference but figured it couldn't hurt to ask for a second opinion on the matter.

Thanks again.

Edited by Akanezora, 20 January 2016 - 10:21 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

You are very welcome :thumbsup: 

Passing on a working PC is a good idea, better than scavenging and ending up with parts not really usable.   Hope the recipient appropriates the gift.

That's a good budget which would go further if you built your own rig.   A pre configured one does give a labour warranty but, parts may not be of the best quality, also limited choice like  PSU HDD, and often included are things you may not want, like LED lighting and card readers.   Below is build using listed parts available, similar to what I would configure, I would use some different quality branded parts and get the price down.   

img_1.jpg   Product Quantity Price Amount

Intel&nbspSkylake&nbspConfigurator : Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core | Stock Intel LGA1151 Heatsink and Fan | ASRock Z170 Extreme4 (Intel Z170, HDMI, 3xPCI-E, 8xSATA, 4xDDR4) | 8GB (4GBx2) G.Skill Ripjaws PC4 24000 DDR4 3000Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty | 1TB Western Digital Black 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps | 256GB SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE256BW SATA3 SSD | 24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW | 4GB GeForce GTX 970 GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI (Major Brand) | Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit (Includes DVD + COA) | Fractal Design Define R5 Black (2 5.25, 8 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0 | 750watt Corsair RM750 Modular 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED | Onboard 1Gbit LAN included | Onboard HD 7.1 Sound included | 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive | 2x 120mm Case Fans | Wires and Cables ran behind case and tied up for maximum airflow | 3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty | Standard processing time: Ready to ship within 5 to 7 Business Days PRICE,excludingTaxes, $1,701.00