Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SPEEDING Up a Home Network

• Please log in to reply

50Cal

50Cal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a home network with 12 computers and I'm using 2 switches to link to computers to the internet. However, both the network and internet traffic have been pretty slow. I would like to get any ideas on how to speed up my network.

What to do? What hardware to change? Just anything I have to do that applies to speeding up my network. Bear in mind I dont want to spend money on any "new technology" stuff because a friend of mine has the exact same setup and his network runs just fine. Thanks y'all

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hmm, this could depend on many, many different things; the processor speed of the pc's, amount or ram, speed of the network cards themselves, speed of the routers/switches, any malware running on the machines, how many pc's are using the network at the same time, the bandwidth your ISP is providing you with (assuming you are getting slow internet connection also), etc... Please give a brief overview of your hardware, software, speeds, ISP, and how many computers are online at the same time. Also compare this to your neighbors details. They may have faster pc's, faster hardware, no malware, faster connection speeds via ISP, and less computers.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

50Cal

50Cal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Lets just say that I have the latest computers with 2+GHz processors, all the computers have at least 512MB of memory, and I have the latest switches. I have NO performance problems at all when I'm using the computers individually, just on the network. Bear in mind the network issues I have include slowness when I'm just trying to access a file on another computer on the same network, or when I'm trying to surf the internet.

Hmm, this could depend on many, many different things; the processor speed of the pc's, amount or ram, speed of the network cards themselves, speed of the routers/switches, any malware running on the machines, how many pc's are using the network at the same time, the bandwidth your ISP is providing you with (assuming you are getting slow internet connection also), etc...  Please give a brief overview of your hardware, software, speeds, ISP, and how many computers are online at the same time.  Also compare this to your neighbors details.  They may have faster pc's, faster hardware, no malware, faster connection speeds via ISP, and less computers.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

View Post

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Firewalls and virus scanners slow things down a lot. When I networked two PCs that had neither I got a twentyfold improvement in speed. But remove them at your own risk. :tazz:

samir7399

samir7399

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i think a logical diagram of how your network is arranged would help in determining the problem.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I agree with samir, but I think he means physical diagram..? This may show where a bottleneck could occur. Also, as mentioned, firewalls and different security measures can drastically slow down a network's performance depending on what types you are using. Switching to a hardware firewall instead of software can make a big difference as well.

Greazy Mcgeezy

crazy_hobo

crazy_hobo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If you just want to transfer data in your network download try using supercopier. it's a free software which is very stable. It works great and you can reach amzing downloading speeds with it!
------
Good luck