Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen AND inoperable USB drives after update.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I tried it in the other memory slot, still no sound, same as before. 

Edited by cros4t, 24 January 2016 - 07:55 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

If your MB only has two memory slots it is not the same board that HP state is in the HP Pavilion p6-2133w Desktop, see desktop specs here and the MB that is supposedly in the computer here you will note that is has four memory slots, additionally, the Hibiscus MB does not have any PS/2 ports for a wired keyboard and mouse, can you please confirm whether or not the MB is the same as yours and if the board is not the same as yours can you also tell us if your MB does have PS/2 ports.

JAFYI: The reason why I am asking about about the PS/2 ports is because a keyboard error can also fail the POST (power on self test) and prevent the computer from booting.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I'm sorry, I got the info off the wrong box. It's a p7-1423w. And it doesn't have ps\2 connectors.  I don't have any video cards and the price of one is half of a new (albeit cheap) computer.  Is that my only hope?

Edited by cros4t, 30 January 2016 - 07:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
I don't have any video cards and the price of one is half of a new (albeit cheap) computer.

Not sure where you got your prices from, for your intended use a card like the EVGA GeForce 210 DirectX 10.1 01G-P3-1313-KR 1GB that will work with your present 300W PSU costs $29.99 from Newegg this is only an example and I am not suggesting that you order anything atm.

Is that my only hope?

It may turn out that way but I`m afraid.

Your MB has two video ports, one DVI-D and one DVI-I, see I/O Ports and internal connectors - sub category Back I/O ports here can you tell us which port you are presently using, the one numbered 3 or 4 in the diagram.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I just found out it is still covered under a warranty. We were prepared to buy a new one.  I do appreciate all of your help.  You rock!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

I need to have a word with myself as I should have asked that question but didn`t because when I checked the release date for what we thought was your computer (the p6-2133w)  it states 26-Jan-2012 as the release date meaning that any standard warranty would have well expired, your actual computer (HP p7-1423w) was released.27-Sep-2012 btw so I take it that you have some other warranty in place.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yes, I always get warranties on WalMart electronics. One bad tablet taught me a lesson. I do expect them to try to deny the claim since it turns on, but nothing beats a failure but a try.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Forewarned is forearmed  :yes:

Please keep us posted on any outcome  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

How did the warranty claim work out cros4t.