Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Not Booting (Solved)

Windows10 Build

Best Answer mlcmoose06 , 17 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

Hello all, I sent the old card back to the manufacturer and just got a new one in the mail today. They replaced the old GPU under the manufacturers warranty. I installed the new card today and... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

mlcmoose06

mlcmoose06

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just over a year ago, I built my own PC for the first time. It went very smoothly and I have been using it regularly without problems for a year now. I have played games like Arkham City, Borderlands 2, and others without issue. Today, I began having problems after installing Dark Souls. After playing for a few minutes (I didn't even get past the character build screen), I got solid color bars on the screen and a buzzing sound from my speakers. I was forced to do a forced restart with the power button. I also installed Crysis 2 and was able to play for 5-10 minutes before the same error occurred. After the last time I restarted my computer, the boot menu had red bars across it and the computer froze before I could even get into Windows. Following that, I can no longer get anything to show up on the monitor. The fans are running and all lights are lit up, but no image appears. Any advice? My system specs are below.

Windows 10
ASRock Z87 Pro3
Rosewill arc-450
WD Blue 1 TB - 7200 RPM
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4 GB
Intel i5-4440
HIS IceQ Radeon R9 270

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: mlcmoose06

In case an O/C has been inadvertently set, we need to make sure the computer is running at Defaults setting.

Start the computer and enter the UEFI by tapping the Del or F2 key.

Go to the exit Menu > select  "Load UEFI Defaults" > Save and Exit.   Wait till the desktop loads, then,

Restart the computer in Safe Mode. > Go Programs, > launch the Catalyst Control Centre, > on the top menu, > click Preferences, > In the drop down list, > click Restore Factory Setting,  > click OK. Close CCC and restart the computer.

Do you still have Display issues.?

mlcmoose06

mlcmoose06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried turning it on while pressing F2 and got no response. The num lock light on the keyboard did not come on either so I suspect that their is a problem with connection there as well.

Edited by mlcmoose06, 23 January 2016 - 10:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcvome :thumbsup: 

If using a USB keyboard connected to the front of a case, it is sometimes not detected until the OS is loaded.   Please connect to a top USB port on the back of the case, these are first controlled by the UEFI, then handed to the OS.

Fast Boot may be enabled in the UEFI, this can make entering it a bit hit and miss. Try restarting and hold down the Delete key after you see the Asrock Logo flash up.

If a no go, try again using the F2 key.

If the keyboard is still not detected, can you get access to a PS/2 one? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If I may chime in while iammykyl is offline  :)

Today, I began having problems after installing Dark Souls.

Most likely a complete coincidence.

Couple of observations, your video card requires a PSU with a minimum output of 500W and 32 amps on the +12V rail, the PSU that you have states 450W which is below what is required in any event but the unit when independently tested could only produce 420W, it did however put out 35 amps on the +12V rail, if using an underpowered PSU has damaged your add on video card you may well have trouble with any RMA.

What I suggest you try while iammykyl is away, remove the add on video card and try using one of the MBs video ports and the CPUs Intel® HD 4600 graphics.

FWIW: GPU manufacturers often overstate power supply requirements to cover themselves, problem is that we need to be guided by what they recommend in case something does go wrong and we need to call on the warranty agreement.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

mlcmoose06

mlcmoose06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, after taking out my video card, it booted normally. Does this mean I need to replace my video card and buy a more powerful PSU?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Unfortunately you are in a catch 22 situation atm as it could be that the PSU is not putting out enough power for the video card or the card could be bad, swapping in a known good adequate output PSU is one check and having your present PSU professionally tested is another.

Got to go out for an hour or so shortly so please do the following for us meanwhile;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

mlcmoose06

mlcmoose06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Screenshot (1).png Screenshot (2).png Screenshot (3).png I took the screenshots as requested. I couldn't figure out how to get the PC to boot with the GPU fully installed. If you need new screenshots with that information, I will need more direction. Thanks for your help so far!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The computer booting without the add on card in place does suggest that the card played a part in the issues that you were having but it still does not prove that it has failed, if you look at your HWMonitor and Speedfan screenshots you will note that there is a high reading of 51C for AUX and AUXTIN, this is the power supply temp sensor when there is one and the fact that you are getting such a high reading even without the video card in place suggests that the PSU may be struggling, you need to be aware that this overheating may have damaged your video card and one or more other components  :(

Can we have some additional information please;

Is the video card here the same version that you have.

What type of case do you have, if possible post a link so we can check the cooling arrangements.

HWMonitor and Speedfan only report one fan reading and that is for the CPU, does your case have any other fans, if yes where are they, front, rear, side etc.

I couldn't figure out how to get the PC to boot with the GPU fully installed. If you need new screenshots with that information, 

Not sure what you mean, we have the readings that we needed thanks.

mlcmoose06

mlcmoose06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Here is the case I have http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133253

The card you posted is similar to mine, but I think might be the newer model. Here is the link to the product on newegg: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161443

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Case has front and rear cooling fans which is good but can I ask if the connections are only the three pin type, your MB has two 4 pin fan headers for the case, this would allow you to control the speed of the fans, monitor their performance and keep the internal case temperatures under control a bit better.

The card at your link requires a 500W minimum output PSU;

500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

I would not recommend putting the add on video card back until an appropriate PSU has been fitted, it may already be too late for your card and can only suggest that if you can you have your video card tested.

mlcmoose06

mlcmoose06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

They are 3 pin fans. How would I go about getting the video card tested? I will go ahead and buy a new PSU at the very least to make sure everything is good for the future. If I have to replace the card, I will probably go with something similar. I want something mid-tier. I don't need to run games on the highest settings, but I want them to run smoothly.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Phillpower2 for the input and speeding the topic along. :thumbsup: 

How would I go about getting the video card tested? I will go ahead and buy a new PSU at the very least to make sure everything is good for the future. If

With a new PSU you will be able to test it yourself, otherwise test in a friends/work computer, providing it has a supporting PSU..

All suggestions for a new PSU will be OK, some modular, > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014066%20600014068%20600014070%20600014072%20600014075%20600014077%20600037998&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=58%7C17-207-030%5E17-207-030%2C17-438-049%5E17-438-049%2C17-151-119%5E17-151-119%2C17-139-059%5E17-139-059%2C17-438-053%5E17-438-053&percm=17-207-030%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B17-438-049%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B17-151-119%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B17-139-059%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B17-438-053%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24 

Are you now able to enter the UEFI to set the Defaults?

mlcmoose06

mlcmoose06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I can, but not with the GPU installed. It will be a week before the new PSU shows up.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, noted.

You should Reset the UEFI to Defaults before reinstalling the GPU for testing, then set back to factory setting for the GPU.

gOOD LUCK.