Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random power offs - unsure if it's GPU or PSU

• Please log in to reply

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

system spec:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
Intel core i7-4770k 3.5 Ghz
PSU: Seasonic S12G 650W (80 Plus Gold)
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce gtx 780
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Hard Drives: main with os: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
and 3 other hard drives for storage
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, my computer has been powering off randomly by itself, and it seems to have gotten worse the past 2 days.

Sometimes the computer will just power off like when your house loses electricity, no warning, just everything shuts down... then followed a reboot: (and here are the two different outcomes)

1. system reboots itself and everything is fine, and i can log back into windows and continue whatever i was doing and hope that it doesn't power off again.

2. system reboots with the system running, however, the monitor gets the no signal blank screen. when this happens, i'm forced to turn off the power and wait a good 5 min or so in order to get the monitor signal back.

The pattern seems kind of random also, sometimes it would be when i'm playing games, sometimes when i'm just browsing the internet and not doing any labor intensive stuff.

I have used hwmonitor to check the system, and the temperature for everything seems fine, except TMPIN4 and a few AUXTIN, which after some googling I think are things that I can ignore I believe.

I did run Prime95, which is a stress test application for CPU, and that ran fine, my hwmonitor shows my cpu usage at 100% and the system was perfectly fine.

Then, I ran this GPU stress test called FurMark, and as soon as I hit the button, my computer power offs immediately.

But is this a GPU problem? or a PSU problem? 'cuz I hear sometimes that the system powers off when components in the system are not getting the power they need and system power offs in order to avoid overheating or component failure.

How can i pinpoint the root causes of this issue I'm having?

Can someone help me run some tests? Let me know what i should run, and what information I should display for you guys.

Edited by chiefrunningwolf, 24 January 2016 - 12:52 AM.

Advertisements

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

also when i go to bios i noticed 2 fans in red:

CHA_FAN2  (This is the front fan of my CoolerMaster HAF932.. the big one situated in front of all the hard drives at the bottom of the case, used for drawing in cool air into the system)

CHA_FAN3  (this is the top fan of my CoolerMaster HAF932.. the bit one on top of the case used to blow out the hot air from the system)

both of these are around 450-530 RPM. and in BIOS the min limit is set to 600 I think.

not sure if this can be an indication for anything.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I have used hwmonitor to check the system, and the temperature for everything seems fine, except TMPIN4 and a few AUXTIN, which after some googling I think are things that I can ignore I believe.

ASUS has its own monitoring software such as AI Suite and this can sometimes cause anomalous readings with third party software such as HWMonitor and Speedfan, MB sensor TMPIN4 for example may not even exist, AUXTIN however is slightly different and more attention should be paid to investigating it, AUXTIN is the power supply temp sensor if there is one btw.

Can we have a couple of expanded screenshots of HWMonitor and Speedfan please, see canned text below;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Tip

Do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped.

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

speedfan.png 1.png 2.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Those high readings are most certainly anomalous, do you have the ASUS AI software installed.

Is the behaviour the same if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

Your PSU is a good brand and covers the power requirements when in 100% order so what I would suggest that you try is to remove the add on video card and then run the same tests that you have done and see if the computer still shuts down, if it does you may be looking at a flaky PSU.

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

wait, which numbers are considered high on the report?

i thought the AUXTIN are often like that  for most people.

Can you also explain about the taking out the video card part? :D

Wouldn't I get no images on the display if I pull out the video card? :\

also, I can install the asus ai 3, but what should i be looking for or test?  i'll get on that right away

Edited by chiefrunningwolf, 24 January 2016 - 08:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can you also answer the above question for us, if you have not tried it, try booting into Safe Mode only first and test to see how the computer behaves, if ok, restart in Safe Mode with Networking and again test, do this before you do anything else in case the issue is driver related.

The -127 and -128 in Speedfan are out of wack and in fact of no use whatsoever, the readings that we can see in HWMonitor are fine but it would have been better had the entries labelled Trial had shown us the output instead.

Your MB has its own graphics ports and your CPU has video capability, once the add on video card is removed from the MB you connect your screen to one of the MBs graphics ports instead, as said above though, try the Safe Mode tests first.

I can install the asus ai 3, but what should i be looking for or test?  i'll get on that right away

Please do not install anything atm, it will only complicate matters.

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

about the driver.

I actually reinstalled windows since I was planning on reinstalling recently anyway.

my computer crashed before i installed all the new drivers.

and it crashed a few times after I installed all the new drivers. all the necessary drivers from the asus motherboard cd, as well as the nvidia geforce driver.

I made sure to use the system for a while before i installed any new drivers, partly because I wasn't sure if it's my graphic card that's giving me this problem, or perhaps there might be issues with the latest nvidia drivers.

But my computer crashed as a newly installed fresh windows system with no additional drivers installed, and also after I installed all the drivers. So i dont think drivers are an issue :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The above would have been best mentioned in your OP  ;)

Excuse the title of the guide, follow steps one to three here to remove your add on video card.

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

i tried to do this twice.

removed the gpu and connected the plug that usually goes into the back of the gpu to the one from the back of the motherboard.

but whenever i do this, i get no monitor display and none of the fans work at all.

put the gpu back and plug everything back to normal, with the power cord going into the GPU and the gpu to the motherboard, and now all the fans work again, and the screen display is back.

any idea why? :\

Advertisements

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

i used the sniper elite benchmark this time because someone said furmark might not be 100% safe.
I was able to let the thing run its course until it's finished without the comptuer shutting down... however, if I try to alt+tab during the middle of it, then the computer immediately powers off for some reason.

i set the hwmonitor to record when the benchmark sniper elite was running, and here is the zip containing all the photos showing the graphs for everything.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4xwlnl

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

tried it twice, and tried to turn ont he DVI for onboard graphics, still didn't work.
no display, and no chassi fans.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Polite reminder;

Please do not add multiple posts while waiting for a reply from us, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page, if I am unable to be around to respond to one post I certainly cant respond to three or more  :(

Fresh install asides, is there any particular reason why you will not answer the above question.

tried to turn ont he DVI for onboard graphics, still didn't work.

The MB should default to the onboard graphics when the add on video card is removed, did you also uninstall the drivers for the add on video card.

no chassi fans

This is clearly not right, removing the add on video card should not affect any other device other than to make more power available to them, a loose connection somewhere else would.

Your MB has the following video ports and capabilities, which port have you tried and what are the brand and model name or number of the screen you are using;

Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz 

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

i enabled the DVI port

but anyways, I've sent the computer to a local shop to get tested. He just called back today telling me it's the PSU that's failing.

so now i'm in the market for a new PSU  T_T

based on my specs and future upgrades what would you recommend?

system spec:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
Intel core i7-4770k 3.5 Ghz
PSU: Seasonic S12G 650W (80 Plus Gold) DEAD
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce gtx 780
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Hard Drives: main with os: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
and 3 other hard drives for storage

*possible upgrade in the future:
better gpu
34 inch ultrawide
audio card
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

one thing though, I recently moved to Taiwan so I can no longer shop from newegg and U.S. in general. I did find a good site I believe that a lot of people in Taiwan use to purchase electronic goods, would you mind taking a quick glance at this page for some potential good buy? This page shows all ltheir 700w-100w psu.

http://24h.pchome.com.tw/store/DRAE2E

Another thing is, since i've moved to taiwan, i've had 2 or 3 psu died on me.. should i look into getting a UPS or AVR or something? I'm not really too familiar with these units. But seeing that i've had 2-3 psu failure in the past 6 years or so, it really worries me. What's the difference between UPS and AVR? I basically just need something to protect my personal desktop computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Best quality and price is the Silverstone PSU here

AVR = automatic voltage regulator and that is what it does.

UPS = uninterruptible power supply, provides back up power in the event of a brown out, available with an AVR, see here