Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

considering to upgrade to W10 again

• Please log in to reply

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts

Last time I upgraded to win 10 on my desktop I had a [bleep] load of problems, duplicate users, couldn't log in due to "wrong password" message, reboot stuck in loop mode. System restore points disappeared. I finally managed to get my system back to win7, can't remember how, but it sure was a nightmare, so I decided to wait until any issues were cleared before trying it again. Well it's 3 months later and I want to get win10 done on my win7 machine without doing a clean install. It will take me too long to re-installed my crap after a clean install.

Have issues cleared up on win7 machines? I would imagine upgrading with a burn DVD would be best way? How do I back up my system and make sure I can revert back to win7? Last time this plan didn't work, I couldn't even access my user account, as it created a new user, same name, but couldn't access my files. The instructions on howtogeek made me laugh. No where does it explain the issues many have had and how to avoid them. Just upgrade and hit ok it says, What the...?

I would prefer to do a clean install, I did that to 2 of my other PCs running win 8.1 without a hitch, but this PC is my main desktop and I don't want to go that route.

Thanks.........

Advertisements

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Windows 10 is significantly more stable now than when it was first released. If you have a Win7 installation disc, that would probably be one of the best methods to make sure going back to Win7 is easy. You can also use the Backup and Restore tool built into Windows 7 to backup your important files to an external source. Windows 10 uses that same Backup and Restore tool, so if anything gets lost in the process of upgrading you can just plug your external drive in and should have little to no problems getting your files back.

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi racenutalways,

I personally don't use Windows 10 at the moment as I upgraded when it was first released and wasn't happy with it, I do believe it is a lot more stable now though just haven't go around to trying it again.. The best way would be to do clean install that way you don't have any issues but you don't want to go that route so that only leaves upgrading as a option.
I would recommend using Macrium Reflect prior to upgrading and take a image of your Windows 7 installation that way if you have any issues down the road and want to go back to Windows 7 all you have to do is create a macrium reflect rescue CD/USB and re-image your hard drive with the image you took earlier, on average it has taken me around 10 minutes to re-image a drive it is quite fast.

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts

Well I didn't get far lol... I backed up plus used HDClone to make an image, plus create system restore point, created a bootable usb using create media tool option, reboot pc, hit install, got to disk select part, couldn't select my drive, got the can not install on drive 1 partion 0 blah blah blah, I hit [bleep]+F10 and cleaned that drive and rebooted and now I get error "driver overan stack buffer" or something like that and now hard drive is empty and no OS on it. Googling tells me I need to install a driver, but.....

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts

This are getting worse , I couldn't get mouse to work so decided to restart PC and now can get past "hit control+F to .....Raid option.....

Can't get into bios, I removed cmos battery for 20 minutes hoping to reset it, can't get to boot up menu, nothing, completely dead.

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts

update: cmos battery was put in backwards, now restoring HDclone image and need to start over I guess. I got to desktop using my recovery disk. I still have no idea how to install clean win10 to my HD if it tells me i can not install on a primary drive and when i formatted that drive i get that overran stack buffer error.