Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blocking access to Websites?

website access

• Please log in to reply

Keman

Keman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

One of those question I'm not sure where to ask it but here goes.

I am looking to have a "public" computer set up at work for employees. Where they can access certain websites that have to do with Work related information and training. I was wanting to block access to all site but these. I am basically about if something like this is possible,

I have downloaded the Windows Live Family Safety that allows me to set a non admin user to only have the ability to view whatever Website URL's that I type into an allowed box. However as with most websites, they are not just singular URL's and they all have multiple upon multiple pages within them (all with their own unique url) as in I would have to manually get each pages url and type it into the Family Safety setting which just isn't possible.  Is there anyway out there for me to do what I am looking to do in a more simple format? some way of blocking all sites but a "parent" site and any sub directories within it?

Any and all help in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

This is a clever trick:

http://www.experts-e...nt-advisor.html

Content Advisor doesn't like wildcards but bypass proxy does so just use the wildcard * to tell it than any subsite is allowed.  Example  *microsoft.com/* or maybe just *microsoft.com*  - haven't tested it.

You can lockdown the proxy settings by changing the permission of the associated key in the registry,

We have found that editing the permissions of the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings key by removing the "Delete" and "Create Subkey" permissions for the user seems to prevent users from changing settings without obviously breaking anything else 

See her for an alternative:

https://social.techn...w8itprosecurity

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

There are several Windows Policies to lock down Internet Explorer that can be set directly on the registry when Active Directory isn't available

http://www.askvg.com...ons-dialog-box/

http://www.pctools.c...try/detail/442/

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Ok so yeah, um... amazing it works. Had a little trouble and had to get some URL exceptions for one of the specific website but I got it to work just fine it seems. You all are amazing and have never let me down. Thank you.

One last little question thoe. I was trying to set an exemption for google.com/maps. so in some fashion Maps would be accessible but the main google search engine or any of the other google sites would be inaccessible. However I have been unable to accomplish this feat and am not sure if it is even possible. If you all know of a Proxy Syntax or some way this can be done It would be appreciated. But if not I understand and am ever grateful for the help you all supplied.

Thank You,

Dustin

Edited by Keman, 03 February 2016 - 02:49 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Can't see how that can work since the proxy doesn't care if it's google.com or google.com/maps.  They both look the same to it.