Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen after new video card upgrade (Solved)

Best Answer Numb Remxed , 20 February 2016 - 04:42 PM

Gday.Did you get your GPU replaced yet?   Do you still need help>   An update would be appreciated. Thenks.  Thanks for checking back in. Got my new card a few days ago... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
I just bought a new XFX R9 380 4gb off Newegg to upgrade my old Powercolor Radeon 6950 1GB. PC was running perfectly before. After I placed in the XFX card and tried to start up the system, I would get a black screen. The CPU and case fans all start up, and it sounds like the system is booting up. However, the video card's fan will start up initially, and then stop for a few seconds, and then start spinning again. But I don't see anything on my monitor. I double checked to make sure that both 6 pin PCI express power cables were plugged in.

Below I have a video of what I mean about the GPU fans starting, stopping, and then starting again.

Finally, I put in my old Powercolor 6950 in the same PCI slot and everything is working again, so I don't think there's a problem with my PSU or motherboard.
I'm thinking that the card may be DOA unless there's something else I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

My full system specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card  ($19.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $562.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-04 19:20 EST-0500

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Numb Remxed.

Given that using your old card you Boot OK, + you boot to a blank screen, but the CPU/PSU fans run, no crash, just about rules out the PSU gone bad.

The start, stop, start of the GPU looks very much like a heat issue, I would say it's a DOA and would get a RMA.

Edited by iammykyl, 05 February 2016 - 12:23 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Is the behavior the same if you try the card in the second PCI-E x8 slot.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Is the behavior the same if you try the card in the second PCI-E x8 slot.

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't tried the card on my other PCI slot. I figured that since my old 6950 still works with that first slot, there shouldn't be a problem with it. I also would have to move my sound card of the way (me being lazy lol)..

My XFX card is now all packed and taped up in the box, ready to be shipped back. Do you still think it's worthwhile to give the second PCI slot a shot?

Edited by Numb Remxed, 05 February 2016 - 06:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Honest answer is that only you can decide on the worth of unpacking the card again, the suggestion was made to help support any RMA, it would be a pain in the proverbial if you sent the card back and were then told that you should have tried the card in any other available PCI-E slots, while it is not common there are occasions where a computer component will work in one machine but not another, tends to be more memory related though.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Honest answer is that only you can decide on the worth of unpacking the card again, the suggestion was made to help support any RMA, it would be a pain in the proverbial if you sent the card back and were then told that you should have tried the card in any other available PCI-E slots, while it is not common there are occasions where a computer component will work in one machine but not another, tends to be more memory related though.

Alright I took it out and tried the card in the other PCI slot. Same story as before. No picture on the monitor.. fan will spin, stop, and then start again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

A nuisance I know but that more or less confirms that the card was DOA and the merchant should have no problem replacing the card or reimbursing you.

Better luck with any new card  :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the additional troubleshooting steps Phillpower2.  My bad.

Please let us know the outcome Numb Remxed, and yes, good luck with the next card.

twinz109

twinz109

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

If you haven't tried already Try uninstalling the Old gpu's drivers and then re download the new gpu drivers. I got the same promblem when I upgraded my pC!!!!!

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

If you haven't tried already Try uninstalling the Old gpu's drivers and then re download the new gpu drivers. I got the same promblem when I upgraded my pC!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that originally. I booted into safemode and used DDU to wipe my old drivers. I also tried keeping my old drivers. Neither of those helped.

The card is already on its way back to Newegg.

I also just realized today that I haven't updated my motherboard BIOS in ages and have read that it can help with compatibility with newer graphics cards. I guess I'll find out after I hear back from Newegg.

Edited by Numb Remxed, 07 February 2016 - 04:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Did you get your GPU replaced yet?   Do you still need help>   An update would be appreciated.

Thenks. 

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
✓  Best Answer

Gday.

Did you get your GPU replaced yet?   Do you still need help>   An update would be appreciated.

Thenks. 

Thanks for checking back in. Got my new card a few days ago. Everything working well!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome :thumbsup: 

Great to hear everything going OK.   I will mark the Topic, as solved.

Good luck.