Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Trying to install Windows XP mode in Windows 7 Professional 64-bit for the first time.  I am following the directions provided here:

http://windows.micro...de-in-windows-7

Under the section titled, "Before you begin", item 2 wants you to determine if your computer's CPU is capable of hardware-assisted virtualization.  It then has you download and install the Hardware-Assisted Virtual Detection Tool found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=592

to determine if Hardware Virtualization is enabled on your computer. 

I ran the tool and it says, "Hardware-assisted virtualization is not enabled on this computer".  Now, I checked the BIOS settings and found that virtualization IS enabled.  So I'm confused why the Hardware-Assisted Virtual Detection Tool is telling me that it's not. 

Edited by Webslinger64, 09 February 2016 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I believe the answer you seek is located in the first/top spoiler (regarding the Windows Update).  Good luck!  :thumbsup:

Why am I receiving errors about hardware-assisted virtualization (HAV) when I try to use Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC?

Spoiler

How to Install and Setup Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Spoiler

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi Webslinger64,

You can still install Windows XP Mode if receiving the virtualization error when running the detection tool.

Step 1 - Install Windows Virtual PC

• Download and install Windows Virtual PC located here.
  • When installing click Yes when prompted to install KB958559.
  • Restart when finished installing.

Step 2 - Install Windows XP Mode

• Download and install Windows XP Mode located here.
  • Once installed you will have to go through the Windows XP setup process then you are done.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Thank you both for the information.  Still not sure why the detection tool is telling me that hardware-assisted virtualization is not enabled on my pc when it is.  I double checked the stats for my CPU online (Intel Core i5 4670) and it does support HAV.  However, I didn't realize I could install Windows XP mode anyway, so that's helpful.  Thanks again!