Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Goofy Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

acmatters

acmatters

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I think this is probably simple to solve, but I don't know how to do it! It seems that my keyboard (at another workstation) is locked up. All of the keys just click. This problem began when I held down the shift key for too long about 2 weeks ago and has been an intermittent problem since then. Until today, I was able to correct the problem by holding down the shift key for about 10 seconds, then things would clear and I'd be good to go. Not the case now. I tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in. I even plugged in a different keyboard, and that one did the same thing!

I tried some troubleshooting in Microsoft help. They suggested that I unplug the keyboard, restart the computer, and upon restarting again, the PC would recognize the "new hardware". I did that and still no result. Can anyone help me? I'm only minimally intelligent when it comes to computers, so keep it simple, please! :tazz:

Thanks!

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
If you held down SHIFT for 8 seconds, it will enable an Accessiability Option called "Filter Keys"

Go to Start | Control Panel | Accessibility Options

Under the "Keyboard" tab, uncheck "Use Filter Keys" and "Sticky Keys" .

That should clear up your problem.

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH, GUSE! I knew it would be a simple fix, just really didn't know where to begin. I just walked my boss through it over the phone, and we're hooked up again! I appreciate your help. Have a fabulous day! :tazz:

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Glad to be of help.