Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Going Back To Windows 7

- - - - -

Best Answer paws , 21 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

Um...Raid arrays can be tricky chaps to deal with sometimes, before abandoning them though, take a look at these two links and see if this does the trick for you. http://support.hp.co...ument/... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

76broadband

76broadband

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

I'm not exactly sure if I am posting in the correct forum, so please forgive me if I am not.

I have an HP 850se, which came preinstalled with Windows 7. After completely updating the operating system, it gave me the option to upgrade to Windows 10. I did so, but now I want to go back to Windows 7.

It has been over a month ago that I upgraded to Windows 10, so the simple option to go back has disappeared. Also, the option to perform a factory reset is not there.

However, I am aware that there is software (which came with the PC) called "HP Recovery Manager" installed on the PC. I am trying to use this to perform a factory reset, but it is not working.

When I click "System Restore" in the program, it gives me the option to perform a factory reset. Of course, because this is what I want to do, I click yes.

My computer restarts, and tries to do what it is told. The boot screen says "Please Wait...", then a black window pops up then disappears in a matter of seconds. After this, my computer just turns off and nothing else happens.

I have read articles saying that upgrading/downgrading operating systems can corrupt the recovery partition of the hard drive. Is my problem a sign of such corruption? And if so, is there any way to correct the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi 76 broadband, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.

The solution you seek is relatively straightforward, but can be a tad time consuming,

Here's the instructions you need:

http://www.howtogeek...ndows-7-or-8.1/

http://support.hp.co...ument/c01867418

https://www.microsof...wnload/windows7

If you get stuck with any of this then post back and we will do our best to help

Regards

paws

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi 76 broadband, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.

The solution you seek is relatively straightforward, but can be a tad time consuming,

Here's the instructions you need:

http://www.howtogeek...ndows-7-or-8.1/
http://support.hp.co...ument/c01867418

If you get stuck with any of this then post back and we will do our best to help
Regards
paws

I appreciate your assistance!

Unfortunately, I became very impatient with the situation, so I went ahead and attempted to perform an install of Windows 7. Because of my fateful decision, my recovery partition has been erased completely. I think I will have to mention that to HP support.

I thank you for your reply, and I do apologize for this late one!

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi 76broadband,

All understood

:thumbsup:

and its no problem.

Some further thoughts for your consideration.

First check and double check that everything you want to keep is fully backed up to removable media, and is comprehensive, reproducible and contains everything you would not want to lose. Then take a look at the list below:

1 it's often easier to use the Recovery partition to get your machine up and running fast and sweet again, however even if the recovery Partition has been damaged or deleted, there are a few options left. :yes:

2 When you first had the Win 7 machine and at any time when it was in operation you would have had the opportunity to create a Win 7 system image and a Repair disc (using the built in Win 7 tools) and if you can locate these discs (folks do tend to mislay them sometimes..) :( then these will have your machine working again in next to no time.

3 If you can't locate them or heaven forbid, your didn't make them, then there's still other avenues open to you.

4 If you made a disc image using a third party application like for example ones created using Norton/Symantec, Acronis, Macrium Reflect free version etc., then as long as you made a bootable disc (perhaps using the "wizard" included with these applications) then these will have your machine up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog!.... the computer will be put back to its state exactly as it was when the disc image was made.

5 You could contact HP support and ask them to sell you a set of recovery discs, that will enable you to re-install a fresh copy of Win 7, but HP may well charge you around (USD) $35 -$40 or so for these. Sometimes they are not available, at all, you just have to check with HP to see if they have them for your make and model number.

6 There is one further step you could take and this does not cost anything at all, apart from a little time, and that is to check the case of your computer most carefully and find the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and note down carefully the product serial code, it's 5 groups of five, alpha-numeric characters, in this sort of format:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

7 Once you have this number carefully written down then you can download the .iso of a fully legal copy of Microsoft Win 7 operating system disc, create the DVD, boot from it, install Win 7, apply the product serial code) and away you go....

8 here's the link to the Microsoft site that you will need to download Win 7

9 Once you have your Win 7 up and running again (you will be surprised how quick it seems) you may need to download some drivers from HP ....(Win 7 includes in its set up files a basic set of drivers that have almost everything working straight away) but if you do need extra drivers to make everything work smoothly, then I suggest you start with downloading and installing the chipset driver, followed if applicable, by network adapter drivers, and then see how you go!

10 You will need to install a good anti virus product as your first step after the Win 7 install (Microsoft Security Essentials gives good protection and is free) and also make sure that it switches on your Windows firewall.

11 After that you will need to download and install Windows important updates (there will be around 200 or more of them!). don't even think of surfing or using email until all these steps have completed.(you don't want to get infected!)

12 Next you can install your favourite applications, Microsoft Word for example and anything else you need.

13 Once its all configured with your applications all installed, your files copied across from your back ups,  (virus scan them to within an inch of their lives, before copying them across)...photos documents. music, videos etc., email set up and working etc.....   its time to:

STOP!

15 As it's high time to make that Repair disc and also a Win 7 System Image and use also something like Macrium Reflect free to make a disc image (make them both) and keep them safe! (USB external hard drives are really useful and very inexpensive at the moment, so get two whilst you are at it! These are excellent for storing the disc images as they can sometimes be a little large for putting on USB memory sticks.

Note:

Even if you get assistance from HP support or the Recovery discs from them you will still need to carry out steps 10 through to 15, so I would be inclined to consider carefully steps 7 and 8 (as they cost nothing!) if you are not happy with the earlier mentioned steps above.

Post back if you need further information on any of this....

and good luck!

Regards

paws

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi 76broadband,

All understood

and its no problem.

Some further thoughts for your consideration.

First check and double check that everything you want to keep is fully backed up to removable media, and is comprehensive, reproducible and contains everything you would not want to lose. Then take a look at the list below:

1 it's often easier to use the Recovery partition to get your machine up and running fast and sweet again, however even if the recovery Partition has been damaged or deleted, there are a few options left. :yes:

2 When you first had the Win 7 machine and at any time when it was in operation you would have had the opportunity to create a Win 7 system image and a Repair disc (using the built in Win 7 tools) and if you can locate these discs (folks do tend to mislay them sometimes..) :( then these will have your machine working again in next to no time.

3 If you can't locate them or heaven forbid, your didn't make them, then there's still other avenues open to you.

4 If you made a disc image using a third party application like for example ones created using Norton/Symantec, Acronis, Macrium Reflect free version etc., then as long as you made a bootable disc (perhaps using the "wizard" included with these applications) then these will have your machine up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog!.... the computer will be put back to its state exactly as it was when the disc image was made.

5 You could contact HP support and ask them to sell you a set of recovery discs, that will enable you to re-install a fresh copy of Win 7, but HP may well charge you around (USD) $35 -$40 or so for these. Sometimes they are not available, at all, you just have to check with HP to see if they have them for your make and model number.

6 There is one further step you could take and this does not cost anything at all, apart from a little time, and that is to check the case of your computer most carefully and find the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and note down carefully the product serial code, it's 5 groups of five, alpha-numeric characters, in this sort of format:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

7 Once you have this number carefully written down then you can download the .iso of a fully legal copy of Microsoft Win 7 operating system disc, create the DVD, boot from it, install Win 7, apply the product serial code) and away you go....

8 here's the link to the Microsoft site that you will need to download Win 7

9 Once you have your Win 7 up and running again (you will be surprised how quick it seems) you may need to download some drivers from HP ....(Win 7 includes in its set up files a basic set of drivers that have almost everything working straight away) but if you do need extra drivers to make everything work smoothly, then I suggest you start with downloading and installing the chipset driver, followed if applicable, by network adapter drivers, and then see how you go!

10 You will need to install a good anti virus product as your first step after the Win 7 install (Microsoft Security Essentials gives good protection and is free) and also make sure that it switches on your Windows firewall.

11 After that you will need to download and install Windows important updates (there will be around 200 or more of them!). don't even think of surfing or using email until all these steps have completed.(you don't want to get infected!)

12 Next you can install your favourite applications, Microsoft Word for example and anything else you need.

13 Once its all configured with your applications all installed, your files copied across from your back ups,  (virus scan them to within an inch of their lives, before copying them across)...photos documents. music, videos etc., email set up and working etc.....   its time to:

STOP!

15 As it's high time to make that Repair disc and also a Win 7 System Image and use also something like Macrium Reflect free to make a disc image (make them both) and keep them safe! (USB external hard drives are really useful and very inexpensive at the moment, so get two whilst you are at it! These are excellent for storing the disc images as they can sometimes be a little large for putting on USB memory sticks.

Note:

Even if you get assistance from HP support or the Recovery discs from them you will still need to carry out steps 10 through to 15, so I would be inclined to consider carefully steps 7 and 8 (as they cost nothing!) if you are not happy with the earlier mentioned steps above.

Post back if you need further information on any of this....

and good luck!

Regards

paws

I re-installed Windows 7, and I am having a bit of issues:

When I try to check for updates using Windows Update, a window pops up saying, 

"Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."

I have restarted my computer plenty of times, but the issue will not resolve.

I believe I know what the problem is.

I have a RAID set up for two HDDs. I am pretty sure that Intel Rapid Storage Technology needs to be installed in order for Windows Update to work.

So when I try to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, it tells me that Microsoft .NET 4.5 Framework is required to install.

When I try to install Microsoft .NET Framework, the following error message pops up (every time I try to install)

"Installation Did Not Succeed; HRESULT 0xc8000247".

Nothing seems to be working right now.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
✓  Best Answer

Um...

Raid arrays can be tricky chaps to deal with sometimes, before abandoning them though, take a look at these two links and see if this does the trick for you.

http://support.hp.co...ument/c02219204

http://answers.micro...1917426f?auth=1

Let us know how you get on

Regards

paws

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Um...

Raid arrays can be tricky chaps to deal with sometimes, before abandoning them though, take a look at these two links and see if this does the trick for you.

http://support.hp.co...ument/c02219204

http://answers.micro...1917426f?auth=1

Let us know how you get on

Regards

paws

After looking at the links, the problem unfortunately still persisted.

However, I have run across a link...

http://h10025.www1.h...dlc=en&product=

...that has fixed all of my problems.

I thank you for your assistance and additional information!

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi 76broadband, that's good news that you fixed it.

Well done!

Incidentally the fix that did the trick ( shown in your last link) is the fix in the first link shown in my previous post...

However it doesn't matter where you got the fix from, as it all now works correctly!

Regards

paws