Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

im trying to factory reset my laptop and i hit f11 doesnt work

• Please log in to reply

holdcroft441

holdcroft441

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

im trying to factory reset my laptop and i hit f11 and it tells me bootmgr is missing ... after pressing ctrl alt delete like it tells me it boots the windows os.... but i cant do a factory reset... i need a factory reset so i can get rid of this laptop... what do i do... i have no disk and this laptop wont accept internet access i must use my phone to contact you... how do i get this to factory reset please help...

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi holdcroft441,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

What is the make and model of the computer?

Will it boot into normal mode? How about Safe Mode?

holdcroft441

holdcroft441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

the computer will boot just fine in safe mode and normal mode and the make n model is an HP G60 windows 7 32bit

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Click on the Start VISTAORB.jpg then All Programs. You should see a Recovery Manager folder in the list.

In the Recovery Manager folder you should see 2 options;

1.) Recovery Disc Creation which will provide the ability to create the recovery discs if you haven't already. Some manufacturers allow you to create them more than once, some don't. Doesn't hurt to check though.

2.) You should also see Recovery Manager there as well. If the hidden recovery partition is still intact, you should still be able to access it from there by clicking on Recovery Manager. When it opens you should find System Recovery under the I need help immediately column.

Let me know what you find.. :)

holdcroft441

holdcroft441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

i have done option number 2 more than once already it hasnt worked and i have no recovery discs i have no discs at all for this comp... I have gone to college for some things about computers but this is something odd its not doing like its supposed to and thats why im asking for help

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok. Have you checked to see if the recovery partition is intact? Try this:

Right click on Computer -> Manage.

Go to Disk Management and look for the recovery partition.

holdcroft441

holdcroft441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

the recovery partition says its healthy

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok. Give me a moment, please. I have an idea but want to ask one of my expert associates for a second opinion.

holdcroft441

holdcroft441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

ok hopefully you can help

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi holdcroft441,

Does it necessarily have to be W7 since you plan on getting rid of it? You do have the option to download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft and install the OS fresh. You should be able to activate Windows 10 using the Windows 7 key included on the COA sticker.

Just a thought....

Edit: You could also create a System Repair Disk to try and fix the corruption.

Advertisements

holdcroft441

holdcroft441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

the person i am selling it to made a deal with me that the only way they will buy it is if i keep the windows 7 on it otherwise id download w10 cause i personally like w10

holdcroft441

holdcroft441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

and all i need is a factory reset done and it will be good to go but i dont understand why its not allowing it

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok. I was afraid of that.

Patience please. I have a couple of the expert Techs looking into this as well.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Could you do the following for me please? I need visuals...

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click OK
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Expand the middle pane to full view.

Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

Please note:
On Vista/Win7 you could use the snipping tool and click File > Save As... and save to your desktop and attach it to your next post, or if you have access to any online storage for images, please upload there and provide the link.

Otherwise,

To do a screenshot please click on the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key.

Now go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

and all i need is a factory reset done and it will be good to go but i dont understand why its not allowing it

It's not allowing it because of corruption. Please post an image of Disk Management.

Also, above you said that you tried Option 2, how about Option 1 that I mentioned here. HP offers one chance to create those recovery disc's and if they have never been created, you may still be able to do so. I needed 4 disc's to create them for my HP. Would only cost you a couple bucks to purchase the disc's. Just click on Recovery Disc Creation to find out if they have been created or not. If not, the wizard will tell you how many disc's will be needed to do so.