Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router problem

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I just recently a Netgear N600 wireless usb into my Win7 machine. I have a Linksys Wireless G. It connects fine. Good speeds. But I've noticed when my neighbors' kids come to visit on weekends my speed is very poor. When I set this all up I didn't think I would need a password-I know-not very smart. It has an exclamation point by my signal strength and reads unsecured. Do I have to uninstall everything and start over?  I don't want to start a war with the people next door. I just want what I pay for.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Linksys Wireless G

Chapter 3 in the manual

http://downloads.lin..._UG_A-WEB,0.pdf

Tells you how to login and once you are in hit the Wireless tab then Wireless Security.  Choose WPA2 Personal and give it a pass phrase such as stupidneighbors  The default for Key Renewal is 3600 which should be good enough.  Once you save the settings it will knock you off and you will need to reconnect.  This time it should ask you for a password and you just put in stupidneighbors and it should connect OK.  If something happens like your PC wireless doesn't do wpa2 then you can reset it  press the Reset button for approximately ten seconds

For the Netgear N600 the instructions are at:

http://www.downloads...M_23JAN2013.pdf

Same idea but they want you to use netgear genie.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

RKinner-Thanks-mission accomplished!  I was having trouble with some terminology so I called my ISP. They said their router was working fine so they couldn't help me.  So I got on live chat with Netgear. They said a tech would call me to help me. All it was was a twenty minute sales pitch. They said I had a problem with Windows drivers.They could fix my problem for $150.00. So I hung up-quickly! I was having trouble logging on to the Netgear router login page. Once I did I was able to secure things.  I added 24/7 to the stupidneighbors pw!