Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

vamorv

vamorv

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer just shut down the other day, I didn't think the power in the house went but I just turned on the computer again. Did the same thing later that night and this time it wouldn't turn back on and I smelled something burning. Make a long story short I replaced the power supply and nothing. So I went and bought a new computer and would like to recover the data from my old hard drive but the new computer will not assign it a letter. If I right click My computer and then manage and then go to disk management I can see the hard drive but it does not have a letter nor can I do anything but delete the partition. I tried to boot up from the old hard drive but about 5 seconds into booting up (after I see the Norton Ghost window) it just shuts down and starts all over again. I don't know much about computers so any help would be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

(after I see the Norton Ghost window) .....

View Post

norton ghost

did you also have norton goback installed?

vamorv

vamorv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes but when I click on the bar and try and go back it just says it can't go back to anything.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go back is preventing windows from seeing the partition.....I see this all the time.

Goback + windowsnt (xp or 2000) = bad news.

if you have your cd, look for a folder of utilities that will remove overlay that goback installs on the drive. Remove that and you will be able to access the drive again.

vamorv

vamorv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
back is preventing windows from seeing the partition.....I see this all the time.

Goback + windowsnt (xp or 2000) = bad news.

if you have your cd, look for a folder of utilities that will remove overlay that goback installs on the drive. Remove that and you will be able to access the drive again.

ok that makes sense i'll try that but why won't the computer boot up past that point?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which computer? the first? fried cpu or motherboard, i imagine

http://service1.syma...ngb&svy=&csm=no

see the above for the process

vamorv

vamorv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disabled Norton Ghost! Thanks again! Got all my photos to the new hard drive. Thanks one more time!!!!!!!!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
super!