Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get rid of malecious popup on Edge

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I am using W10 and Edge.

I get a popup telling me that I have a virus and if I don't call an 855 number immediately I will lose financial information.

Three different virus scans say I don't have a virus, but I can't get rid of the popup; it comes up every time I open Edge.

Once the popup is up I can open a second Edge window, but it won't let me close the popup window.  With two windows open task manager only shows one Edge window.

So, how do I get rid of this popup.  I could hit the "OK" window on the bottom, but I suspect that would be a bad idea.

Thanks.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP

The easiest way to get around this is to disable your internet (pull the cable, disable the adapter, whatever). Then kill the browser and restart it, then close the tab.

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

That worked!  Why?  What was my problem?

Thanks much for the help.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP

Not really sure.  Just found the instructions on another site and passed them on.  Don't know much about Edge.  Seems like instead of going to a home page it was restoring the last page you visited.  Sounds like something in a temp file or the DNS cache.  I've also heard that just rebooting would clear it.