Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD/ATI Video Driver stops working.......(Resolved)

Driver AMD/ATI

Best Answer daba82 , 06 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

Well..........that sounds good to me! Hopefully I won't get any more of those crash/dumps but so far the computer has been working fine. I thank you VERY much for your time and enormous patience. I... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

daba82

daba82

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi.......For the last few days my HP Windows 7 has been having issues with freezing and then shutting down. Seems like this happens when I look at videos. I've had this issue happen maybe once a week for quite some time but all of a sudden it's doing it every day for the past week. I suspect it might have something to do with me scanning a large quantity of pictures last weekend..........Well, anyway.........after having it do this to me for the last week at least once a day I decided to dig into the depths of my computer going from Control panel>System and security>Maintenance..........there were a few messages which I checked into. Basically Windows came up with two results for me................."AMD/ATI video Driver has stopped working 42 times, last accurred on 3/5/2016. Go online for product support"..............and also.........."AMD-Display Adapter-ATI Radeon Graphics Card stopped working 2 Times"..............So when I go to product support it tells me to uninstall driver with directions which are pretty scary with mixed results from people. Are there any suggestions for me to do before I jump into the deep end of the pool and try these things out? I'm not totally afraid of my computer but no expert either. I'd appreciate any help that anyone could give to me............

Thankyou!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello daba82,

Updating drivers is pretty straight forward and should it be required I will provide the steps to follow.

To the problem at hand;

AMD/ATI video Driver has stopped working 42 times, last accurred on 3/5/2016. Go online for product support"..............and also.........."AMD-Display Adapter-ATI Radeon Graphics Card stopped working 2 Times".

One of the biggest culprits of causing AMD/ATI drivers to crash is the CCC (catalyst control centre) software that is bundled with the drivers, it would not normally result in the computer shutting down so I suspect that there is something else going on and possibly an overheating issue.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Edit to add.

Any BSOD at all, if yes,

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Edited by phillpower2, 05 March 2016 - 09:58 AM.
As per the above.

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi............ok..........I downloaded and ran Speccy and have the URL for you...................

http://speccy.pirifo...ihWMmi6huWNKg7Q

I'm not sure how to do the next step you asked for yet..........

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

When you mentioned heat related I checked to see if PC was ventilated properly. I do dust but the fan vents were covered in dust. I removed this. Maybe that will help. I don't have a BSOD showing at the moment so I can't send you anything on that..........I noted that this problem increased significantly when I descried to do some major photo scanning last weekend so maybe the extra wear and tear on the system messed things up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Speccy report looks ok with a weak video chip being the only thing of note, the video chip is integrated into the MB and this is most likely getting hot when you are watching videos, we need to see if we can get some more accurate/reliable readings, I will post the instructions for this after we have your next update as I need to ask the following couple of questions first;

Have you actually had any BSOD, you will not have any dump files if there have been no BSOD or alternatively if crash dumps are not enabled on your computer

When was the inside of the computer last cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Is it the original power supply unit, an old PSU will not only be weak but also generate more heat as it may be full of dust inside.

Tip
Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi, I have actually had BSOD's (had to look up what that meant)...........every time. It says something about crash dump and then the computer will start up again when I believe I hit ESC and then hit enter. I just follow the directions on the screen........

I did just clean up the fan vent which I hadn't noticed before was covered over with dust. I keep the area clean but hadn't noticed this before.......It would probably be a good idea to open it up and checked to see how much is inside as well.........

As far as old power supply unit...........are we talking the power strip where all the plugs are plugged into? If that is the case........It's at least 5 years old. I have 4 devices plugged into it.......

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
 I have actually had BSOD's (had to look up what that meant)...........every time. It says something about crash dump 

The following folder should be on your hard drive if crash dumps are enabled and the above suggests that they are C:\Windows\minidump

A desktop computer should be cleaned out every few months as a minimum and more often in warmer and dusty climates.

The PSU to which I refer is inside the actual computer and brand names such as Compaq/HP etc use cheap generic power supplies to keep build costs down, they are prone to causing problems such as overheating and hardware instability.

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I did find the C:\Windows\minidump file but I can't open it in Acrobat Reader. Says it doesn't support it or file was damaged. Actually.........today when the driver quit there was a message that it recovered and the computer didn't shut down. That's why there was no file for today..........Just old one's.........

As far as cleaning out the computer for dust. I think I will try that 1st. It doesn't seem to be "running" so much. As far as the PSU. That sounds like a bit of an undertaking to do. My guess is that when I was scanning all those pictures last weekend..........from JPEG files to TIFF files, the computer was working overtime...........scanner anyway........After that the occasional crash/dump of about once a week has become almost daily. I'll see how it goes after cleaning everything out really well. Hopefully that is the only problem........

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You cannot use Adobe to open dump files, you need debugging tools for that and they have to be downloaded from MS, to send us the dumps you open the folder by right clicking on it and then doing the following;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

The behaviour that you saw today is typical of what happens when a driver crashes and recovers.

Cleaning out the inside of a computer is best done with canned compressed air if available, a vacuum cleaner should not be used as they generate static electricity which can damage your hardware and no attempt to open up a PSU should be made as they can hold enough residual charge to cause serious harm.

My guess is that when I was scanning all those pictures last weekend..........from JPEG files to TIFF files, the computer was working overtime...........scanner anyway.

That is not particularly intensive usage and certainly not enough to crash your computer.

.After that the occasional crash/dump of about once a week has become almost daily

The graphics driver crashing is not the same as a BSOD, the former is caused by a third party software and the latter regards Windows itself crashing.

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I've attached the dmp file for you to look at. There are quite a few of them. If you would like me to attach another just let me know.

I hope I did this right!

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Overheating could indeed be the cause of the crashes but so could problem drivers, from your crash dump dated Wednesday March 2nd 2016

Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (2 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 7601.18869.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.150525-0603
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02a00000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`02c47730
Debug session time: Wed Mar 2 18:28:58.904 2016 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 4:17:09.434
* Bugcheck Analysis *

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

Arguments:
Arg1: fffffa80049e54e0, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff88004149ba8, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: 0000000000000000, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000002, Optional internal context dependent data.

Debugging Details:
------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

FAULTING_IP:
atikmpag+7ba8
fffff880`04149ba8 4883ec28 sub rsp,28h

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT

See how the computer behaves after you have given it a good clean out then post back with an update for us.

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I'll give it a try and post back to you to let you know how it goes.........either way. Thankyou very much for your time today. I very much appreciate it!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome daba82  :)

daba82

daba82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi again................I thought I'd post back to let you know how my computer is running after I cleaned out the dust which didn't appear to be too bad on the inside. I haven't had the computer shut down(crash/dump) on me yet but it's still running poorly. Sometimes the pages will freeze and it sounds like something is running on the computer a lot. I get a message from my Virus software on and off that says High CPU usage and that's when I hear the computer running. Is it difficult to update the AMD/ATI driver? I've looked on line and there have been mixed reviews on that.........

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Such behavior is not caused by bad graphics drivers but if you would like to rule them out for yourself see below;

Below is my canned text for installing video card/chip drivers;

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it Radeon HD 6410D drivers, download and save to your new folder the latest drivers for your card/chip from Here create a new restore point, uninstall the present drivers in Device Manager, restart it in Safe Mode (no networking) install the newly saved drivers, restart and test. 

To see what is ramping up the CPU usage;

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Give it a minute then do the following;

File, Save As, Save.  Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy/paste the text into your next reply for us.