Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will only start in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Oh, and I tried system restore, but got message: No restore points have been created on your computers system.

Advertisements

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Oh, and I tried system restore, but got message: No restore points have been created on your computers system.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Try msconfig now

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Now I get message: desktop is not accessible access denied, and a popup box saying: Failed to connect to a Windows service, and now the desktop is showing icons for: new admin 1, Computer, and recycle bin, and screen looks like it is in normal mode. Also: I am now sending these messages from a desktop with an intermittent usb mouse as my laptop has lost it's internet connection, just a red x over the internet connection icon. Things are not looking good!.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Actually that is a good sign if it is able to boot into a pseudo normal mode.  Go back into msconfig (go back into Safe Mode if you have to), Click on Normal Startup then Apply.  Now go to Startup tab, uncheck everything.  Now go to Services.  Click on Hide Microsoft Services and uncheck everything that is left.  Click OK and reboot into normal mode.  Is it able to boot?  If so go back into msconfig and check all of the services except the two from MSE:

R2 MsMpSvc; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MsMpEng.exe [22216 2016-01-29] (Microsoft Corporation)
S3 NisSrv; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\NisSrv.exe [292816 2016-01-29] (Microsoft Corporation)

and OK then reboot.  Is it still able to boot normally?  

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Hi, OK, did all of that and got back to welcome screen with spinning blue disc, and after a couple of minutes the screen goes black!.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Which step did you do?  There were two.

1.  Click on Hide Microsoft Services and uncheck everything that is left.  Click OK and reboot into normal mode.  Is it able to boot? 

2.   If so go back into msconfig and check all of the services except the two from MSE:

R2 MsMpSvc; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MsMpEng.exe [22216 2016-01-29] (Microsoft Corporation)
S3 NisSrv; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\NisSrv.exe [292816 2016-01-29] (Microsoft Corporation)

and OK then reboot.  Is it still able to boot normally?  

3. If 1 failed then unhide the Microsoft services and uncheck them too, Apply and Reboot.  Does it boot in normal mode?

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Ok, I did all of part 1 with no result, I'll now try part 3.........

Still no result I just get message: desktop not accessible access denied.

If I click that message off the system goes back to the start screen in normal mode where I can see a list of all my programs, non of them can be accessed though.

I have downloaded the instructions for a restore to factory settings, may be the only answer,

I have made a note of everything on my desktop and all my favourites, other data is mostly old stuff anyway!.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
desktop not accessible

This sounds like a permission error.  

In Safe Mode, right click on the start ball and select Open Windows Explorer

Navigate to C:\Users\geoff

You should see desktop in the right pane.   Double click on it.  Does it let you in or give you a permission error.

You mentione Admin1 so look under C:|Users and see if there is an Admin1.  Can you access its Desktop?

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

I can access the desktop via admin1

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Are you logged in a geoff or admin1?

Can you access geoff's desktop?

Can you go into Control Panel, User Accounts and create a new user.  Give it admin rights then reboot and try and log in as the new user?

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Yes, done that!.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Done what?

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Created a new user account with admin priviliges and logged in as the new user!!.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you are now in normal mode, try uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials.