Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W10 Task bar: basic questions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Re the Task bar at the bottom of the desktop screen, with icons MSstart button on the left to the time display on the right:

• That bar is called the Task bar, right? Is any part of it called the Quick Start bar?

• Some of the icons have blue underlines. Others do not. What's the significance of the blue underline?

• One of my icons, with a blue underline, is Skype. - How do I remove it (Un-pin) it from the Task bar? Right-clicking does not provide an Un-pin option.

• How can I pin any of these icons to the Desktop screen? - I'd like to see my most-used apps on the desktop, much as they appeared with XP.

Thanks. ....batpark

Advertisements

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

Hello batpark:

The bar is called the taskbar.

The QuickStart portion of the task bar is to the left, as I understand (I might be corrected) because you can launch apps with a single click.

Apps with a blue underline are open apps (they are actively running and should be visible in the Task Manager).

By default, Skype starts when the computer boots.  It is not "pinned" to the task bar; it is a running app.  Right click, and select "Quit", but if you do, you will no longer receive Skype notifications.  Within the Skype settings, you can disable "startup on boot."

You can just drag the icons from the task bar to the desktop.  They will disappear from the task bar and appear on the desktop.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil