Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to find the correct connection for my old 17+7 SATA hard drive

hard drive connector 17+7 SATA

• Please log in to reply

RobertRooster

RobertRooster

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I Want to find the correct connection for  my old 17+7 SATA hard drive, so I can plu it into a USB port in my new laptop.

I still have the hard drive of my old laptop, a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC with Windows.  I spilled a drink on the keyboard and fried it years ago.

I removed the hard drive, it is an old Fujitsu  15+7 pin SATA  2.75 inch hard drive. See photos

I can not find the right adapter .   The type of hard drive I have strangely configured pins .

Attached are photos--which kind of connection I need so I can load the data to my current hard drive via a USB port.

All tech help appreciated.

Best Buy was next to useless—bored kids and empty shelves.

I had hope in Amazon but no luck

Anyone know the name of the connector I need and where to get it?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1763.JPG
  • IMG_1762.JPG

Edited by RobertRooster, 19 March 2016 - 09:15 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi Robert :welcome:

What you have is a little adapter that is connected to the HDD you have to remove it and you will see a normal Sata connection on the Hard Drive.

disassemble-dell-laptop-04.jpg

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi RobertRooster,

I hope SleepyDude will not mind me adding a couple of links to the sort of USB caddy that can be used to plug your 3.5inch SATA hard drive into your new laptop.

If you just want to use this hard drive as an external hard drive then take a look here:

http://www.ebuyer.co...es-&-Enclosures

This gives you an idea and a description of what you might use to couple up the drive to your laptop

If you have a number of hard drives both 3.5inch ( from desktop computers) or the smaller 2.5inch ( from laptop computers) then something like this would be useful:

http://www.novatech....mpaign=products
(similar caddies are also available that fit the older style IDE Hard drives and also both sizes of SATA drives... we tend to use this sort in the workshop but for folks who just want to use one, on a "one off" basis this latter sort may be a tad over the top)

The products shown are not being recommended to you... the purpose of the links is merely to show you what is available and the sort of terminology to use when enquiring about the products from your local store or parts provider.

Regards
paws

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I hope SleepyDude will not mind me adding a couple of links to the sort of USB caddy that can be used to plug your 3.5inch SATA hard drive into your new laptop.

Not at all :)  I didn't post about the enclosures because I suspect Roger already know them.

rob043055

rob043055

• Pip
  • 1 posts

good to go

Edited by rob043055, 20 March 2016 - 08:34 PM.