Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Hard Drive

Lost Partitions Wipe Drive Re partition hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Petersman

Petersman

• Pip
  • 3 posts

After my daughter upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10 three weeks ago, She got a Blue screen after the new battery fell out while in use.  

It's a HPg6-2293nr laptop with 64 bit AMD A6-4400M APU  W/RadeonHD graphics. 2.7 / 3.2  MHZ  - 64 bit - 1 TB HD - 8MB ram.

I rebooted to f2 system Diagnostics = Failed disk check. After getting back into the system via Esc - .sys/recovery, went back to syst.diag. = passed.disk check but The unit would still not boot . 

It just kept restarting - but wouldn't boot. I went thru pain and finally figured out that I had to change the security settings in bios to let me change the bios boot order to D:cd/dvd drive in boot mgr.. I then tried to refresh win10 via a repair only (no prod key) cd I had bought,

resulted in Error partition missing . I went to Cmd Prompt - disk part - Tried to add a partition to vol 1 - I mistakenly cleaned volume 4 ??

This allowed the refresh from disk to load -  It booted up - but would not work. The desk top icons were gone, and the File Explorer - file folders ( downloads - pictures- videos- etc.) were all empty.

Went to disk mgmt found that there was only one large (931.51GB)  C: drive on disk 0 .  Did a disk de-frag -  I shrunk that to the lowest possible size available (466.87) with Disk Mgr. now have two volumes - C: = 466.87 & Unallocated = 464.64.  Reloaded win10 - New Installation /custom mode -again 2X hoping that windows' disk might do an auto format - NO GO. I spent all afternoon online reading about -  Images - NTFS-

Raid 5 - mirror - HELP.

I'm an old timer. It was a lot easier with win 95. -  Do I need a new hard drive??

If you can tell me if I clean the entire drive will windows 10 auto format the hard drive on install -

And how do I do that from command prompt / Disk Part - and what procedure / commands do I need to re-format from Disk Part.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have that might help.

Edited by Petersman, 20 March 2016 - 10:00 PM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sounds to me like she dropped the laptop which probably damaged a few sectors of the hard drive and why it wouldn't boot to her os.

having some damaged sectors on the hard drive doesn't automatically mean you need a new hard drive, my daughter did a similar thing to hers and once i fixed things it ran for years after just fine.

now since then it sounds like you've wiped the hard drive completely trying to fix it so any data and such that was on there is probably lost.

I then tried to refresh win10 via a repair only (no prod key) cd I had bought,

resulted in Error partition missing . I went to Cmd Prompt - disk part - Tried to add a partition to vol 1 - I mistakenly cleaned volume 4 ??

This allowed the refresh from disk to load -  It booted up - but would not work. The desk top icons were gone, and the File Explorer - file folders ( downloads - pictures- videos- etc.) were all empty.

Went to disk mgmt found that there was only one large (931.51GB)  C: drive on disk 0 .

that to me sounds like you did manage to get a clean and working install of windows 10 up and running and is where you probably should have stopped.

now me personally from here the first thing i would do is run some file finding software from a live cd (or connect the hard drive to another pc) once i've saved any data if any that is possible i'd just do a clean install of either windows 8 or windows 10.

don't worry about using disk part to partition the drive before installing the os, the install will do all that for you anyway and because the laptop came with windows 8 to start with you needn't worry about the os product key, it will be stored in the uefi and so both windows 8 and 10 should just install and verify itself as legal anyway.

here's a guide on where to get and how to create the windows 10 install media if you don't already have it :- http://www.tenforums...ndows-10-a.html

and here's a guide on actually doing the clean install. :- http://www.tenforums...an-install.html

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 21 March 2016 - 03:51 AM.

Petersman

Petersman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

9:48 AM -  Thanks so much for the information and links. I will be doing those things later today -  Thanks.  Bob...

7:40 PM - Found Her personal files late this afternoon - She is still up-loading them to flash drives and DVD's - How many songs & videos can one person                        have ?  She is so happy to have her work documents, letters, and forms back.

Will work on restoring tomorrow when it's empty.  With the data saved now I do not have to be cautious anymore.   Thanks again,  Bob...

Edited by Petersman, 21 March 2016 - 05:51 PM.

Petersman

Petersman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Just a note to let you know where we are with this problem.  I went to the link you provided, and downloaded Win 10 with the Media Download to a DVD.  At this time we stopped before doing the reload because The previous version is working good except that if you try to go to folders in Documents through "This PC" - an error msg  comes up   (X access denied )  but going in via folder mgr on bottom task bar it works fine ??  So since she has her data back and needed to get some work done I have stopped working on this for the time being. She is backing everything up daily. The hard drive still has only 1 partition C: and 1 unallocated space.  Do you think that will straighten itself out when I reinstall Win 10 from the DVD ??   Thanks again for your time and help,   Bob... 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Do you think that will straighten itself out when I reinstall Win 10 from the DVD ??

straighten what out exactly?

if the os is working fine and can be booted into then i wouldn't bother reinstalling win 10 because that will mean reinstalling all programs and data already on there.

i'd just fix what ever problems that are there now, for example the permissions problem, i assume "This PC" is a new account you created (not being a windows user and never having used win 10) and is the one she uses now and the folders with the error are owned by the old username/account, so really she just needs to take ownership of those folders to stop that error message.

how to take ownership :- http://www.tenforums...ndows-10-a.html

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 28 March 2016 - 09:52 PM.