Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows98SE

• Please log in to reply

johnjoseph

johnjoseph

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried to upgrade to windows 98SE from a CD(upgrade only software) I bought (my computer presently runs with widows98 which was preinstalled in the computer).
All went well until a screen saying that there was an attempt to write to my bootdisk(which I don't have) popped up and prompted me to click continue.
I tried to click continue but the arrow of the mouse had dissapeared and the screen froze, I had to power off.
Subsequent efforts to upgrade are met with a message saying that my windows 98 is not complete.
Also messages saying en error has occurred giving options to close or ignore, option to ignore doesn't work.
Has anybody any idea why this happens and what I should do?
Any help will be extremely appreaciated.

I received your kind response Keith but I got a message saying:
not enough memory, no extended memory driver.
Would you know how much memoy shoulI have?and if I buy more memory will it come with the extended memory driver?
Thanks in advance

Edited by johnjoseph, 15 June 2005 - 05:49 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC then keep tapping F8 key until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, when it has run and says repaired, press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key right after the beep, when it enters BIOS set up, look for load fail safe defaults, or its equivalent, press F10 key to save and exit then reboot and tap the F8 key until you get options, select command prompt, type scanreg.exe /fix and see what it does, if it runs it will load around four screens before saying repaired