Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Screen tearing (Resolved).

Best Answer deadside , 01 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

phillpower2 I've hooked up to my TV and it's perfect, so you are right it must be the monitor struggling with the power. Thanks for all ur help Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

deadside

deadside

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

I just recently purchased a new gaming pc, I picked the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB card, its up to date with the latest drivers but im getting a lot of screen tearing with it on World of Warcraft.

Vsync didn't fix it although did make it slightly better.

Vsync half refresh rate did fix it but made the game unplayable at 30fps

I did a quick google search to try get help, and it seems people come to two conclusions, PSU and getting a G-sync monitor.

I was told when getting my PC for everything in my computer i'd need 550w PSU, so to be safe I got 650w - however ive now seen people saying for this card you need 750w minimum and it will fix the tearing, yet other saying 650w is more than enough.

G-sync monitors, again very 50/50 with people saying you shouldn't need one then others saying it would fix the issue, its something I now very little about to be honest, until this issue i'd never heard of a G-sync monitor.

Any help is much, much appreciated, if G-sync is the way to go, any recommendations? 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   deadside,

Your card requires a 600 watt PSU with 42 amps on the +12V rail, 1x 6-pin and 1x 8-pin supplemental power dongles from the PSU.

Couple of questions if I may;

What is the brand and model name or number of the present PSU, the CPU, MB and Ram (including the amount 2 Xs 4GB sticks for example).

Is the problem only with WOW.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

deadside

deadside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Power Supply CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® MAXIMUS VIII RANGER: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, LG1151

Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)

Only WoW is the issue, to be fair it's all I've tried though, I do play Classic WoW too, but it doesn't do it on classic WoW.

Thanks for your response :)

Edited by deadside, 01 April 2016 - 05:42 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi deadside,

A solid and quality build as I suspected with such a good GPU being used  :thumbsup:

As it stands the issue could be entirely with WoW so what I would suggest that you do is put your card through it`s paces with Valley Benchmark (free) which you can download from here let us know how it goes please.

Polite reminder;

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

If you read my signature below you will understand why I ask that you do this.

deadside

deadside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

Running the Valley Benchmark on Ultra it was doing the same thing as WoW, screen tearing was quite bad, with Vsync on it made it slightly better.

I'm subbed to the topic now cheers :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Looks like it could be your screen then as in it is not up to the same quality as your computer hardware is, how old is the screen.

What we should check and try is your temps and voltages and different versions of drivers for your video card, will not load you up with things to do so will post the steps one at a time, thanks for following the topic btw  :)

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

deadside

deadside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi, it didn't have all the settings shown in your screenshot when I opened it, but I've screen shotted what was shown anyway.

My monitor is quite old, its an LG but i'm guessing I purchased it around 7-8 years ago.

ss.jpg

Edited by deadside, 01 April 2016 - 07:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not all voltage readings are showing but what we can see is fine and no suggestion of high voltages or temps.

Next thing is trying different drivers for your card, if you let us know the brand of card we can do some research, or alternatively, manually uninstall the present drivers, restart the computer and then run the Nvidea auto detect tool from here

Your LG screen is old but before suggesting you purchase a new one I would suggest trying the drivers approach and then if you can borrow a newer screen of any size that has a HDMI or display port which offer the best quality video output, I suspect that your computer is sending the video content to your screen so fast that the screen cannot keep up.

deadside

deadside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi, thanks again for the help, would you recommend the G-Sync screens? I'm going to try drivers first like you said, I literally only updated them this morning but never tried them before the update.. silly me.. this is my card:

ss2.jpg

deadside

deadside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Tried the old drivers and still the same, any advice on the G-sync monitors? Or any particular one you could recommend?

Thank you for all your help thus far..

deadside

deadside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
✓  Best Answer
phillpower2 I've hooked up to my TV and it's perfect, so you are right it must be the monitor struggling with the power.

Thanks for all ur help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

While it is a pain in the proverbial you have at least confirmed the LG screen as the problem, Gaming Monitors Buyer’s Guide – April 2016

Glad we were able to help and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)