Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to retrieve a visited website on Win 7?

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

This may belong in the Browser board (if so mods please move). I use Mozilla FireFox (see avatar!) I'm the only one that uses this computer. I use the private browser sometimes. Is it possible to look in the cookies.sqlite file to find a site that I should have favorited from last week?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Jeisen.

If this information is not required for evidential purposes, then you may not need to work from a "disc image" and use a "write blocker" or use a contemporaneous time line file, or any other of the usual techniques. so you could have a look at the following:

See if this does the trick for you:

1 Click on the 3 horizontal bars at the right of the screen header to "open" the menu

2 Click on History

3 Click on "show all history" ( the bottom of the list)

4 from the list on the left select the period of time you are interested in

5 If you have the browser set up correctly you should see the webpages visited

If this does not help you, then its time to dabble into some forensics....

take a look here to get started:

http://www.forensics...Mozilla_Firefox

Just a warning... forensics can be very absorbing, and time consuming (and provide a good living for some) but can get a tad complicated, oftentimes lots of detailed work required....and it's very time consuming... if used for evidential purposes then your working methods must be precise, accurate, beyond reproach and 100% in accordance with best practice....

If you don't have a working machine that you can examine using its existing operating system then you can download a copy of Helix and start from there:

There are still some earlier and free versions of Helix available and some of the tools referred to will be able to achieve exactly what you want.

More information on Helix available here:

http://resources.inf...rts-with-helix/

There are of course many other forensic tools available.... but if you wish to use them be prepared for a spend of thousands of dollars (USD) rather than hundreds.

Regards

paws

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hey paws,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Sorry for the late reply. As fate would have it-the site was found on my girlfriends PC. I use it sometimes when I'm in town. She unlike me saves her history and doesn't use Mozilla's private browsing. I've changed my settings to save history. As a backup I favorite every site I go on now. I did try your 1-5 instructions but the old settings I had erase history when the browser closes.

Thousands??? Whoa!!