Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISearch HotSuprise Freeprod.com Removal [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MrSurveyor

MrSurveyor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I was able to download kaspersky version 5 . O. 149.4 and update it. It found Explorer. exe and fired it the scan is Still running in Safe mode - I '''f...... will let you tuow how it goes..

Advertisements

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Don't let kaspersky delete explorer.exe! Let it disinfect. :tazz:
Good you finally could update and scan. Also save the report and post it in your next reply together with a new hijackthislog when finished. Hijackthislog made in safe mode.
Also, it seems like you are scanning now while replying to this post? You're supposed to scan in safe mode without networking support.

MrSurveyor

MrSurveyor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
New HJT Log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:21:46 PM, on 6/18/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Venturi2\Client\ventc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEPOWER] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Management\CePMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEKEY] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KAVPersonal50] C:\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kav.exe /minimize
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} - http://go.microsoft....204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://www.bitdefend...can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O23 - Service: kavsvc - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kavsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Venturi2 Client (Venturi2) - Fourelle Systems, Inc - C:\Program Files\Venturi2\Client\ventc.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

Okay an update: I was able to find an older version of kaspersky on the interent, I was able to install it and it worked fine. I never could get the newest version to work. The older version updated definitions, and I ran a scan with it in safe mode. After it completed I ran a scan with Ad-aware SE and a scan with Spy Sweeper. I believe it knocked everything out okay. My Pc is running a whole lot faster now.
I noticed that before I did the Kaspersky scan, my desktop icons had very small shadows, and my desktop background had a lower quality resolution. Also on startup in normal mode, desktop icons came up very slowly.

So roughly, I believe now I almost have it fixed. (my postings earlier were from a pocket pc device, sorry for the bad typing, those are hard to type on.)

I have a new little problem, dealing with Kaspersky somehow, I have a box that pops up when trying to load an internet page, it says something like:

KAV Script Checker
Cannot load library for language 'JScript'
Path:'C:\program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\scrauth.dll'
Please contact Kaspersky Lab. for the solution.

I thought I removed all symantec live update software....

Anyway I believe this worked, but I'm going to try to be safe and get of this internet fairly quickly.

bye

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Great!

I also think this worked. :tazz:

Just use this regfix:
* Download DelDomains.inf and save it to your desktop.
Rightclick on it and choose 'install'.

Seems like symantec is still everywhere on your system present, haha.
Even after you uninstall it, a lot of files wont get deleted from symantec.
So you may also delete next folder:
C:\program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared

I suppose Kaspersky actually said it disinfected your system? In that case.. your problem must be fixed.
What do you think now? Keeping Kaspersky or reinstalling Norton again? ;)

MrSurveyor

MrSurveyor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I sure do appreciate your help. Thank you for all the quick replys! My computer seems to be running just fine now. I believe the solution was getting kaspersky to run.
I guess I've been working on trying to get this fixed for about 5-6 days now, maybe even longer. I'm sure glad you were able to help me.

Thank you so much!

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Very glad we could fix this.

To keep this clean in the future, I would suggest the following things:

Install Spywareblaster
SpywareBlaster doesn`t scan and clean for so-called spyware, but prevents it from being installed in the first place. It blocks the popular spyware ActiveX controls, and also prevents the installation of any of them via a webpage.

Avoid illegal sites, because that's where most malware is present.

Let your antispywarescanner(s) scan frequently and don't forget to update before.

And I do suggest you perform an online virusscan once in a while. (Kaspersky online and/or Bitdefender). Because what one virusscanner can't find another one maybe can.
Also make sure that your virusscanner, the one that is installed on your system is always up to date!

Make sure your windows has the latest updates: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

More info on how to prevent malware you can also find here (By Tony Klein)

Happy surfing again! :tazz:

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.