Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing a second operating system (Solved)

Best Answer jamiedot , 25 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

Thank you each of you for your patience and advice. Everything here is fine and you have made an old man very happy. Best Wishes, Jamiedot Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello everyone. Before I detail my problem it is necessary to explain that as far as computer software is concerned I am a highly professional amateur.  If the help you may generously provide is not of the 'monkey see, monkey do' variety I will make a mess of it.

​Currently my OS is Windows 8.1 and I wish to remove XP - a second OS. Searches on the internet have produced a very good site, but the instructions appear to be for an older OS. The instructions fail to work after a few steps because the prompts etc. that are called for, cannot be found (by me) in Windows 8.1.

If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful (with limitations).

Thanks in anticipation,

Jamiedot

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,103 posts

:welcome:   Jamiedot,

Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager which you can access by pressing the WIN and X keys together on your keyboard, alternatively from Windows 8.1 update you can right-click with the mouse or stylus on the Start button to bring up the menu. 

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you for a quick response, the required screen shot is attached.

Regards,

Jamiedot

Attached Thumbnails

• Disc management screen.jpg

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Do you want to delete D: partition which you cannot without few steps as D: partition assign as System partition.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

I guest OP changed his mind as he has not reply to my question.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,103 posts

Often happens but please do not let it put you off :no:  continue offering your much appreciated and valued Tech support here at GTG  :thumbsup:

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

I'm here to stay guys i love this forum there are lots of good polite and helpful members in this forum what else a person could ask for. I also believe we should all support forums like geekstogo and forums who offer assistant,  guides, courses etc.. to public without asking for penny for a support. I myself is a administrator of a new forums named WhiteHatForums we hold values same as those who just want to contribute to public  without charging them penny what should be free to share.  Lets all keep up the good work!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,103 posts

Glad to hear it and sticking around sounds like a good plan  :)

Hey there paws, thank you for your wiser words  :)  :thumbsup:

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Yes paws sounds like a wise person :spoton:

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello again,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been unwell. Although I will be 72 years old this year, its not my age that disrupts life, but an underlying health problem. I do appreciate that you offer help willingly and freely and I would not ignore your efforts without a good reason.

It may not be relevant to my question, but the locations of the operating systems are : -

Windows 8.1  -  which I wish to retain     -     volume  C

Windows XP   -  which I wish to delete    -     volume E

As to the removal of the D partition, I have no idea. Your advice will be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

jamiedot

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

E: partition does not contain any operating system the D: and C: does, when you boot your computer into Windows OS the operating system you boot your computer by default gets C: drive letter any other partition even the one operating system install on will get any other drive letter. I can see you want to remove D: partition from the screenshot just to make sure which drive letter assign to Windows XP install partition navigate to each partition and take a screenshot for us to view.

Edited by FreeBooter, 22 April 2016 - 11:34 AM.

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Attached are some screen shots, I hope they are adequate.

Attached Thumbnails

• Volume C.jpg
  • Volume D.jpg
  • Volume E.jpg
  • Volume F.jpg

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Sorry hear about your health problems hope you get better soon.

It is weird how E: and the D: partitions have Windows XP installed all the folders at root of the E: and the D: partitions are the system folders of the Windows XP. I will show you how to delete those two D: and E: partitions its up to you which one you want to delete but for D: partition you need to do few thing before you can delete the D: partition.

You have to edit the boot menu to remove Windows XP from boot menu.
• In Windows, press the Windows Key + R keys;
• Type Msconfig and click on OK;
• Click on the Boot tab at the top;

• Click 'Windows XP (\windows)', and click on the Delete button;
• Click OK;

• Click on 'Exit without restart';

If the  partition is designated as a System partition like with D: partition then in this situation you cannot delete that partition.

• Mark the C: partition as an active partition from the Disk Management Utility;

• Open the Command Prompt as a Administrator and type:

Bcdboot C:\windows

• Restart your computer;

And lastly, delete the partition this will free up space which you can extend to the C: partition with the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.

• Within MiniTool Partition Wizard select the partition you want to delete;
• From the left pane click on “Delete Partition”;
• Click on the OK button and click on Apply in the toolbar;
• Within MiniTool Partition Wizard select the C: partition and click on "Move/Resize" to enter the next interface;
• Increase the C: partition by dragging the right arrow of the scrollbar to the right or directly entering accurate values in the textboxes below;

SQMjOA9.png

After

jFIqCWC.png

• After you're done with the settings, click on the "OK" button;
• Click on Apply in the toolbar;
• Click on the “Restart Now” button on the Notice dialog box;

Make sure to not to skip any part of my instructions this is important if you do not follow my instructions as they are then the Windows Operating System may not boot any longer.

Edited by FreeBooter, 23 April 2016 - 12:26 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just some precautionary advice.

the first thing i'd do before doing anything is to make a complete backup drive image so you can restore everything to how it is now just in case things go wrong.

wouldn't surprise me if 1 of those partitions wasn't the dell xp restore partition used to factory restore the pc.

:popcorn:

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thank you each of you for your patience and advice. Everything here is fine and you have made an old man very happy.

Best Wishes,

Jamiedot