Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Frame is Separating

• Please log in to reply

frenchguy111

frenchguy111

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello there! :)

I'm having a problem with my laptop (It's a Toshiba Satellite that I bought around 4 years ago). I opened it up recently and noticed that on the left hand side of the screen, the plastic and screen have seemingly separated to the point where you can see light peeking through. The screen is totally fine and nothing in that respect has changed. I know that sometimes the frame can pop out of place but all that is needed in that case if for me to lightly pinch it until I hear it snap back into place. I tried doing the same in this case but I actually feel a bit of resistance when I press on it (I obviously stopped trying to pop it back into place to avoid damage).

The problem doesn't seem too severe since the screen is still definitely working but I don't know for sure. Should I be worried? I can't even notice that it is separated unless I look at it from the side. My college has a tech center where I can take it but I want to know first if it is something I can do on my own or around what price you would suggest it would cost. Either way, I don't want to get ripped off.

I'm going to attach some pictures to show what it looks like. The first two show where the light is coming out next to the screen and the third shows what it looks like if looked at straight on.

Thank you so much!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0781.JPG
  • IMG_0782.JPG
  • IMG_0783.JPG

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Welcome to Geeks to Go frenchguy111,

Looks like the frame plastic is slightly warped. Hard to guess whether it's caused by heating from the LCD panel, or gradual stretching with use. Probably the only way to fix it, is to replace with a new bezel. The LCD is sealed, you don't have to worry about dust. It's just more of annoyance from the light leakage. If you're handy, I'm sure you could find the replacement part online and do it yourself. There are Youtube videos for disassembling almost every laptop.