Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop computer wont start when cold (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 June 2016 - 07:03 AM

No problem and you are welcome  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

catmitt

catmitt

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hello

I have my daughters Windows 7 desktop here.

It doesnt startup when its been off for a few hours.

We are usually getting the Starting Windows screen its stuck on (sometimes the Welcome Screen or the white arrow on black screen).

I switch off, then on again.

It does a Startup/Repair then Restore.

It then starts normally.

If i shut down or restart straight away, it starts up normal.

The Diagnosis and repair details:

Unspecified changes to the system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action: System Restore

Result: completed successfuly. Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 225812 ms

I did a complete restore from a boot disc. It has been fully updated.

It still has this same problem. It has had no tune ups. I have not altered any settings.

Its a Dell Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel ® Core™2 CPU   6300  @ 1.86 GHz

RAM 3 GB

32 bit

Any suggestions please?

:no:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello catmitt,

Three possible causes come to mind a flaky PSU or HDD or a loose internal connection/component.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...AWrYBqyBiUKpgD5

Is this ok?

Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

From your Speccy log;

S.M.A.R.T
Good
Temperature: 
56 °C
Temperature Range: 
Bad (greater than 55 °C)

It would appear that the HDD is overheating, this may be caused by poor case cooling but is more often than not caused by a bad PSU;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

On the Speedfan, i have posted the whole screenshot as this is all i got, with just the CPU usage going between 0% and 6.7%.

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan.jpg
  • HWMonitor.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

HWMonitor and Speedfan also show the HDD to be overheating, this could be as a result of too much voltage coming from the PSU which unfortunately we cannot confirm due to no voltage readings being reported by either (not unusual for OEM brands such as Dell) standard procedure here would be to swap in a known good PSU for testing purposes but in this instance I would suggest that you first test the HDD, see How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

Using info from Speccy I did some research and found the specs for the computer here which show that the computer shipped with XP or Vista but is now running the OS as detailed below;

254.pngOperating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

Computer type: Mini Tower

Installation Date: 24/03/2016 22:08:36

This is a fresh installation and so can I ask the following couple of questions;

Was the problem present before the fresh installation.

After a fresh installation of an OS the motherboard drivers also need to be reinstalled and in a set order, there are no Windows 7 drivers available from Dell so what drivers if any were used instead, Dell drivers that are available from them here

JAFYI: Windows needs to be updated.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

The startup problem started a few months ago.

It was no better, no worse.

My daughter was given the laptop last year.

It is mostly used by my autistic grandson who also has poor eyesight, mainly for his music.

Before i came on here i did a disk scan, which seems to have removed my settings and some driver updates. Its worst still after tests yesterday and also took several attempts to start up.

Could be down to the disc i was given?

We could buy the correct psu if you could give details?

Or may be looking at another windows 7 dekstop. Any recommendations on what make to get, not to get with regards to a low budget please.

Thank you  :headscratch:

Attached Thumbnails

• Diagnostics.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Good news that the HDD passed both the short and extended tests  :thumbsup:

My daughter was given the laptop last year.

Can I just double check that we have the correct computer specs in that it is a Optiplex 330 mini tower and not a notebook.

Before i came on here i did a disk scan, which seems to have removed my settings and some driver updates

Could be down to the disc i was given?

Dell computers are notoriously picky when it comes to drivers, you must where possible use drivers provided by Dell and install them in the order that is recommended by Dell, as mentioned previously in my reply #6 Dell do not provide Windows 7 drivers for the Dell Optiplex 330 computer so no matter what disc was used to install Windows 7 it would not have Windows 7 drivers on it for this particular computer, in this type of situation it is quite common for Windows Vista drivers to be used instead, use the system analysis tool here to see what is suggested and for the order that drivers should be installed see here

We could buy the correct psu if you could give details?

It is highly possible that the PSU does need to be replaced and especially if it is the original stock unit that the computer shipped with, but, what I would suggest first is to see how the driver approach works out and if needs be you have the insides of the computer cleaned out of heat trapping dust, the latter would allow for all internal connections to be checked and the dimensions of the present PSU measured and written down, perhaps your sons friend who repaired your external HDD would do this for you.

Or may be looking at another windows 7 dekstop.

Really do not think that will be necessary.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hello.

Yes confirming it is a desktop.

It was in a mess yesterday and did not want to start.

And then it kept switching off.

Eventually it died.

There was no way to do further testing.

There is still hope.

My son has taken an interest and has taken the unit away to clean. He works with electronics and understands how things work. 

His mate builds computers, so they will have a look and see if it can be fixed.

I will pass on your info to them.

I will be in touch.

Thank you for your help.

:geek:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update catmitt  :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that things have deteriorated but pleased that you have capable help on hand  :yes:

Without knowing what happened exactly yesterday we cannot hazard a guess as to what has gone on, failed PSU sounds likely but even a loose memory stick or internal connection can prevent a computer from starting.

Hopefully this will be a quick fix and please do let us know how it goes.

Advertisements

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hello

I have an update.

My sons mate has rebuilt the computer and its seems to be working fine.

Sorry i dont have any details as yet.

Thank you for all help

:D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello catmitt,

Glad to hear things have worked out for you and thank you for letting us know   :thumbsup:

You are welcome   :)

NB: If you ever do find out what the problem was we would appreciate it if you could share the information with us.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hello,

Ok... the HD was knackered and the processor needed replacing.

I hope this makes some kind of sense.

It is working well now.

Thank you so much for your help.

:geek:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the additional info catmitt  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)

NB: Odd that the HDD was bad after having passed both diagnostic tests but even more odd that the CPU was also bad  :headscratch:

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Yes, i wondered if it was when i started taking stuff off the HD, then the computer finally died. 

Maybe it got damaged then?

He reinstalled it, then it crashed. Another HD worked.

All he found wrong was the processor needed repasting.

Oh... i see i put that wrong earlier?

Repasting... not replacing.

:upset: