Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard For Intel Quad Core Processor

• Please log in to reply

Ambrish Srivastava

Ambrish Srivastava

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,
I have a system with 4(2+2)gb DDR3 ram, Intel Quad Core processor+ 1GB external Graphic Card. Along with it I had Intel DG43GT motherboard. Due to unknown reasons it stopped booting. The light in the motherboard is on and fans are working but there is no display or beep sound witch occur while start. I went to a local shop and they couldn't repair it and said motherboard is dead. So I have to purchase a new motherboard.
Suggest me what to do..?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Ambrish Srivastava,

Can I ask is if you are ok with working inside of a computer as I have a couple of suggestions that you should try, this only if you are comfortable/safe with doing so.

Ambrish Srivastava

Ambrish Srivastava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah sure..! Suggest me! I'm not a pro but I can try..!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The specs for the present MB here show that it has integrated graphics available, what I would suggest that you do is remove the add on video card and try the integrated graphics, if still nothing, remove the 2 sticks of RAM, reconnect the power cord and press the power on button, let us know if you get any error beeps.

Please note that before opening up the computer you should disconnect all sources of power to it, press the power on button for a few seconds to get rid of any residual charge and be sure to ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU before reaching inside.

Ambrish Srivastava

Ambrish Srivastava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have tried all thease things and yes it gives the error beeps when there is no ram..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Have you put the RAM back in, if yes, what happens now when you try and power up, any error beeps.

The fact that you get beeps with the RAM removed would normally suggest that the problem is after the RAM and memory slots with the graphics chip being the next thing checked as part of the power on self test (POST) it does not happen very often but it is possible for both an add on video card and the integrated video chip to both fail, as you mention hearing 4 beeps with the RAM removed and 4 beeps with an old Intel board like yours means Timer not operational it could still be bad RAM as the integrated video chip relies on it for support.

Will wait on your update before suggesting the next step.

Ambrish Srivastava

Ambrish Srivastava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
After putting back ram there is no beep sound. And when my pc was fully functional, at the time of starting it sounds only one beep. Now there is neither a beep nor any display.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

A bit of repetition now I`m afraid  :(

If you have a wired P/S2 type keyboard use that rather than the USB type while troubleshooting this.

With the add on video card still removed;

1: Try booting with only one stick of RAM in the slot nearest to the processor, if no change, try the same memory stick in the second slot.

2: Remove the first memory stick and repeat the same procedure with only the second memory stick in slot one and then slot two.

3: Any change at all post back and let us know, if no change, go to #4.

4: Replace the add on video card and then repeat the memory testing procedure in steps one and two.

Ambrish Srivastava

Ambrish Srivastava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No result.. I have tried it before and today as well after you told..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Means one of three things;

1: The MB is bad, not sure how the local shop determined this by the way and it would have been helpful to you if they had of told you.

2:: The CPU has failed, a MB is more prone to failure than a CPU so a failed CPU is less likely.

3: The screen that you are using has issues, have you tried hooking up another screen to the computer**

**If you do not have another screen to try but you have a notebook type computer that has an appropriate video port try connecting your screen to the notebook to see if you then get a display on the external screen, you may need to toggle between the notebook screen and the external screen to check this, if you have neither option, ask a friend if they will test your screen on their computer.

Ambrish Srivastava

Ambrish Srivastava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Screen is working.. I have checked it with laptop..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I suggest that you ask the local shop what exactly is wrong with the MB and how they determined it, a failed CPU could also be to blame or even both the MB and CPU, I would not like you to go to the time, trouble and expense of purchasing a new MB only for the problem to remain.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you  Ambrish Srivastava, , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.