Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE11 hijack [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Reset IE11 but I'm still hijacked to my google home page and if I go to a favorites page and start to type it changes to google. It looks like I'm screwed unless you have any other ideas? Is it possible to only load Win7 without losing all my programs and documents. Or would that not even help? Is this embedded so deep or does it re-install after every fix attempt? Can I uninstall IE11 and chrome or is that moot also?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Initially reset IE and then do the same for Chrome

Re-install Chrome

1. If you have bookmarks, let's save them by exporting them - Export Bookmarks
2.Go into the dashboard. Log in. https://www.google.c...dashboard?hl=en
3.Scroll down to “Chrome Sync” and click “Manage Chrome Sync” on the right.
4.Go to bottom of resulting summary page and click “Stop and Clear.” It will ask you if you really want to, and if you do, in fact, really want to, click “Ok.”
5. Now we need to uninstall chrome.
Note: When asked about user data or settings you must remove this also so please check the box.
6. Restart the computer and reinstall chrome, You can download The latest version from here - Google Chrome
7. Import your bookmarks back into Chrome
8. Sign back in to your Chrome browser so that your bookmarks sync with your online account.

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I went to: Go to bottom of resulting summary page and click “Stop and Clear.” It will ask you if you really want to, and if you do, in fact, really want to, click “Ok.”

Not but there's a reset sync button?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK I never use Chrome as it is to susceptible to subversion..  However, they appear to have changed the order.  The updated parts are in bold below

Re-install Chrome

1. If you have bookmarks, let's save them by exporting them - Export Bookmarks
2. Go into the dashboard. Log in. https://www.google.c...dashboard?hl=en
3. Scroll down to “Chrome Sync” and click Stop sync and delete data from Google link“
4. Click Stop sync and delete data from Google button

5. Now we need to uninstall chrome. Note: When asked about user data or settings you must remove this also so please check the box.
6. Restart the computer and reinstall chrome, You can download The latest version from here - Google Chrome
7. Import your bookmarks back into Chrome
8. Sign back in to your Chrome browser so that your bookmarks sync with your online account.

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
For several days now it seems to go away after awhile but upon waking the next day it's back!
5/9 and here we are again closing home page after homepage, having to resort to my iPad to communicate...Jay

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Another wrinkle this morning! I've got 5 tabs open in IE11, now instead of (1) opening in a new window when I click on new tab to open number 6 it opens all 5 current Windows as new tabs? What the...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

For several days now it seems to go away after awhile but upon waking the next day it's back!
5/9 and here we are again closing home page after homepage, having to resort to my iPad to communicate...Jay

Is this Chrome or IE

Go to control panel > internet options. Can you confirm there is only one home page set
Capture.JPG

Download Windows All In One Repair from Tweaking.com to your desktop
Install the programme

Reboot to safe mode with networking
Run Windows All In One
Select Step 2
Select open Pre-repairs scan then click scan
Let that complete
Save the results to a text file on your desktop

waioprescan.JPG

Next select Step 5 and back up the registry

waioregback.JPG

Open the Repairs tab

waioopenrep.JPG

Select the following repair numbers :

4 and 7

Set the system to reboot on completion
The press Start Repairs

waiorepair.JPG

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Downloaded from tweak.com, started in safe/net as requested. Ran reimage scan and looked for screenshot steps and all I have is a start repair button. Did I download and run the right program, should I click the start repair button?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No re-image was not the programme that was an advert .. Uninstall re-image and use one of these download buttons on the page

Capture.JPG

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
O.K. Ran the right program and all is working for the time being...tomorrow will be the test. Tweak results below...Jay

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
¦ Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.8.7 - Pre-Scan
¦ Computer: LIGHTINGELSTORE (Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) (64-bit)
¦ [Started Scan - 5/9/2016 1:15:35 PM]
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
¦ Scanning Windows Packages Files.
¦ Started at (5/9/2016 1:15:35 PM)
¦
¦ No problems were found with the Packages Files.
¦
¦ Files Checked & Verified: 8,121
¦
¦ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(5/9/2016 1:24:59 PM)
¦ Scanning Reparse Points.
¦ Started at (5/9/2016 1:24:59 PM)
¦
Reparse Point: (Type: SYMLINK) (Name: AppvIsvStream64.dll) (Original Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\AppvIsvStream64.dll) (Target Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\Updates\16.0.6366.2056\AppvIsvStream64.dll) (Creation Time: 1/22/2016 8:14:48 AM)
Target Path doesn't exist!

Reparse Point: (Type: SYMLINK) (Name: AppvIsvSubsystems64.dll) (Original Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\AppvIsvSubsystems64.dll) (Target Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\Updates\16.0.6366.2056\AppvIsvSubsystems64.dll) (Creation Time: 1/22/2016 8:14:48 AM)

Reparse Point: (Type: SYMLINK) (Name: C2R64.dll) (Original Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\C2R64.dll) (Target Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\Updates\16.0.6366.2056\C2R64.dll) (Creation Time: 1/22/2016 8:14:48 AM)

¦ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\Default\Cookies) (Target Path: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies)
¦ A Default Reparse Point is missing and this can cause problems on the system.
¦
¦ Problems were found with the Reparse Points.
¦ You can use the Repair Reparse Points Tool at the bottom of this Window to try and fix these problems.
¦
¦ Files & Folders Searched: 395,682
¦ Reparse Points Found: 14,589
¦
¦ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(5/9/2016 1:34:50 PM)
¦ Checking Environment Variables.
¦ Started at (5/9/2016 1:34:50 PM)
¦
¦ No problems were found with the Environment Variables.
¦
¦ Done Checking Environment Variables. (5/9/2016 1:34:50 PM)
¦ [Finished Scan - 5/9/2016 1:34:50 PM]
¦
¦ [x] Scan Complete - Problems Found!
¦ [x]
¦ [x] You can use the Repair Reparse Points or Repair Environment Variables tools at the bottom of this Window if needed.
¦ [x]
¦ [x] While problems have been found, you can still run the repairs in the program.
¦ [x] But for the best results it is recommended to fix the problems reported in this scan if possible.
¦ [x] If you need help fixing any of the items in the log, just post in the forums at Tweaking.com for help.

Advertisements

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, so much to see if it still works tomorrow! I have (6) tabs open on IE11 clicked the 7th and geuss what, it opened the same (6) so now I have (12) open. I'm starting to think the only fix is re-installing win7...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK download IE11 from here to your desktop http://windows.micro...dwide-languages

Then go to control panel > programmes and features
Click view installed updates
Select Internet explorer
Click uninstall

Reboot and then install IE that you downloaded

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

IE11 downloaded, however NO internet explorer to be deleted anywhere I look; installed updates, uninstall programs, etc. I looked even before I contacted you'all as I thought this was my best bet. Help me find it, so I can continue...Jay

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Hmm it should be there

OK run an elevated command prompt

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator"
In the black box that opens copy/paste the following command :

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c “cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quite /norestart”

On completion reboot and then install IE11

JayPlayer

JayPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Tried it a few times, says

ERROR: Invalid syntax. '/c' option is not allowed more than '1' time(s).
Type "FPRFILES /?" For usage.