Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cheap wifi router to install open firmware?

wireless router

• Please log in to reply

Friedav

Friedav

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi - new to this site; looking for some input.

I'm looking for a new wireless router to extend the range in my house. We now have a G router and it really does the job well in a 2 story house, but I do a lot of surfing and little gaming/streaming. Right now the wifi doesn't reach my patio, and I'd like to extend the reach for a budget of $30. There is a lot of info out there about wifi AC routers that are way out of my price range and it is hard to tell what will really do the job.

I can get a wifi repeater for under 30, but I think my money is better spent on a new router because I'd like:

1. guest access features

2. parental controls

I'd like to try buying a cheap router and installing Tomato or DD-WRT on it, and see if it does the trick. Any advice on which router to buy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Frieda

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello Friedav... and :welcome:

While a repeater would work, you are correct in thinking it's best to get a new router.  Though, $30 is a pretty tight budget.  A good reliable router will most likely cost $30-$50.

Just keep in mind that you ultimately want an N router.  (A/B/G/N are your options)

You also want one with plenty of solid reviews (4+ stars, ideally).

I've never used Tomato or DD-WRT, and would probably advise against it, unless you just know what you're doing and/or have a particular reason for it.  I have had THIS router for many years with no problem.  I know it may be slightly out of your price range, but maybe it can assist in your search for the perfect router.

Good luck!