Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer problems (Solved)

Best Answer DeGuy , 25 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

Power supply and new CPU were faulty. It's getting looked at. So I'm marking it as solved Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

DeGuy

DeGuy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright so my build is a Intel i7 6700k with Msi Radeon r9 4gb video card and 2x8gb corsair vengeance 2133, antec earthwatts 650W platinum certified, Msi h170a gaming pro, hyper master evo 212, Samsung blu Ray, western digital 1TB and a gigabyte wireless adapter. So my computer, ever since I opened it wasn't working. Everything would turn on except for the video cards fans. The video cards lights would turn on but not its fans. I also forgot to unplug and shut off the power supply itself. I know. I'm stupid. We then looked at if and found broken lands on the back of the motherboard. We replaced that. Now the whole computer wouldn't turn on. We jumped to conclusions and said it was the power supply so we bought a new one. It still didn't work. So then we found a crack in the CPU and bent pins on the CPU socket by accident. We replaced that too. And yet it still worn turn on. I'm not a money tree and I'd rather have it fixed XD. Both power supplies run fine with the paper clip. When I turn it on though, it makes a tiny clicking noise. Now I believe that means that there is a short somewhere on the board, but we unplugged everything except the CPU, CPU cooler, switch on button, and the power cables, it still makes that sound. We can't find one short or anything that could be a short. Nothing turns on at ALL. We are thinking about bringing it to a technician , but I thought I'd rather ask you guys. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   DeGuy,

What a disaster for you  :(

Have you tried removing the add on video card from the MB and connecting your screen to one of the graphics ports on the MB, if not try it and post back with an update.

When you post back, can you also let us know if your MB has an onboard speaker.

DeGuy

DeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The motherboard does have that speaker but I put it in the jfp2 slot but it doesn't work. Pretty sure it's in the wrong slot. I can't even try anything with the computer since it doesn't even turn on

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The jfp2 slot is the correct one for your speaker.

So my computer, ever since I opened it wasn't working. 

Can you explain what you mean by this as in is it a new computer or upgrade etc.

I can't even try anything with the computer since it doesn't even turn on 

Sorry but slightly confused as you post the following in your OP;

Everything would turn on except for the video cards fans. The video cards lights would turn on but not its fans.

Are you now saying that pressing the power on button does absolutely nothing, no signs of life from any hardware.

DeGuy

DeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oh Im very sorry. I forgot to mention that now the computer doesn't turn on at all. I tried plugging in only the 24 pin and 2-4pin connectors on the motherboard and still no response. All I hear is a click noise from the power supply. The computer is now upgraded and ever since its been having problems. At first the gpu fan and itself wouldn't turn on except for the lights, then we replace the motherboard and nothing turns on

DeGuy

DeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
At first the gpu didn't turn on before the upgrade

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I suggest that you remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the screen to a video port on the MB, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard - the add on video card must be removed.

If your MB doesn`t have a power  test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component.

Tip
Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just to clarify something.

1:- you had problems and replaced the motherboard.

2:- you had problems again and noticed bent pins in new motherboard socket and a cracked cpu so bought a new cpu.

are you still trying to get the new motherboard with bent pins and the new cpu working together?

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 29 May 2016 - 02:53 PM.

DeGuy

DeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I bought a third motherboard. And thanks I will try to do the cardboard method. Also am I supposed to add the CPU? And if this doesn't work at all, does that mean bad mobo?

Edited by DeGuy, 29 May 2016 - 03:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The barebones set up will not do any good if a damaged CPU has not been replaced, the clicking that you said you heard could have been the CPU shorting out or arcing across the crack in the processor.

Thanks for dropping in terry, I misinterpreted it as the CPU also being replaced.

Advertisements

DeGuy

DeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The CPU is replaced. The only things that weren't replaced was the optical drive, hard drive, ram, and video card

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Do the barebones set up then and yes the CPU needs to be in place and the CPU cooling fan connected to the 4 pin CPU fan 1 header on the MB , can you also make sure that the single stick of RAM that you insert is in DIMM slot 2, this is the second slot away from the CPU.

DeGuy

DeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
When you say the two power pins, do you mean the green and black wire on the PSU? I didn't test the MB yet, but I plugged everything into the mb and turned the power supply on, and now it's make a straight buzz noise.

Edited by DeGuy, 29 May 2016 - 04:32 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be totally and brutally honest with you, and probably not what you want to hear,

Also am I supposed to add the CPU?

When you say the two power pins, do you mean the green and black wire on the PSU?

if you have to ask such questions then i don't think you've read or if you have, not understood the motherboard manually so after buying 3 motherboards and 2 cpu's and still not getting a working pc, i really think that yes.

We are thinking about bringing it to a technician

that is exactly what you should do and will probably work out the cheapest option for you the way things are going too.

for your info.

FIRST READ THE MOTHERBOARD MANUAL, and keep it close by so you can refer to it if needed during the build.

these are the minimum steps that MUST be taken before you can even think about testing anything when building a pc.

1:- install cpu into motherboard socket, instructions on how to do this are in the motherboard manual.

2:- add a small amount of thermal paste to top of cpu (always clean off both cpu and heatsink of old thermal paste from previous fittings before apply new paste) and then connect the cpu heatsink and fan to the motherboard on top of the cpu.

3:- connect the cpu heatsinks fan wire to the correct motherboard fan header, instructions on location are in your motherboard manual.

4:- install 1 stick of ram into the correct ram slot, instructions on location are in your motherboard manual.

5:- connect 4 pin power lead from psu to motherboard which powers the cpu, instructions on location are in your motherboard manual.

6:- connect 24 pin lead from psu to motherboard, instructions are in your motherboard manual.

7:- connect monitor to motherboard, instructions are in your motherboard manual.

8:- connect keyboard

9:- now place motherboard on top of something non conductive, like the motherboard box.

now you can add power and test things.

1:- plug in psu power lead and turn it on.

2:- locate the 2 pins on your motherboard that the power button lead from the case will connect to when you install it into the case, instructions on location are in your motherboard manual.

use a flat screw driver and GENTLY touch those 2 pins to short them together with the flat end and then remove screwdriver, this should cause pc to power on if everything works.

now for this.

I didn't test the MB yet, but I plugged everything into the mb and turned the power supply on, and now it's make a straight buzz noise.

personally i don't like the sound of that and would instantly turn the power off.

is the sound a buzz like an electrical short would make and where is it coming from the psu or the motherboard? or is the sound more like a beep? if a beep again read your motherboard manual, it will tell you exactly what error the beeps are for.

honestly though, i suggest you take ALL the parts you've bought so far (2x psu, 2x cpu, 3x motherboards, etc) and the old parts and case to a pc repair place and let them build it for you and fix any problems they may find, because at the rate your going it wouldn't surprise me if you needed to buy yet another motherboard or/and cpu.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 29 May 2016 - 09:24 PM.

DeGuy

DeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
tried it. Didn't work. As soon as the flathead hit the + and -, the power supply stopped buzzing and nothing happened. Everything was in. Update: tried both power supplies. First one (original one) buzz for a second then stopped. The second kept buzzing.

Edited by DeGuy, 30 May 2016 - 08:07 AM.