Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having dont refresh problems from the desktop

• Please log in to reply

Dreamtraveler

Dreamtraveler

• Pip
  • 3 posts

My desktop on windows 7 is not auto-refreshing right after I move a song into another folder unless I press F5 twice on the keyboard. Nothing else will work. It's like the same song is in both folders now when displaying from the icons folder, but looking inside one folder the song is not there, until hitting F5 twice. It'll end up fixing itself. I never did backup the registry, by mistake.

I have reformatted 2 hard drives, 2 fresh installations, and somehow this problem still exist after updating windows and its drivers completely. I have even went into the registry and I can't even locate dontrefresh in the hives.

Why doesn't a fresh windows 7 installation not fixing the dontrefresh file inside the hives? Replacing the motherboard fix this? Not sure if the mobo has a defect or what. Any solutions?

Advertisements

rainyXP

rainyXP

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Have you tried restarting the process "explorer.exe"? You can do this by first killing the process (Start, Run: cmd, taskkill /f /im explorer.exe) and then starting it again (in the same command prompt type explorer.exe)

While you did mention you have searched the registry for the "dontrefresh" value I did find the following. Try navigating to this specific key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance

Registry editing can cause harm to your computer, make a backup first and proceed with caution.

1) I backed up the registry.
2) Searched for occurrences of the word refresh and found this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
which contains three subkeys. One of them, curiously enough, is DontRefresh and it has a value of 1 (turned ON)
3) I then changed the value to 0 (turned OFF) and hit F5 to refresh and save the now changed registry.

Source

Dreamtraveler

Dreamtraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have indeed killed explorer.exe and restarted it again using the same command prompt. I was looking for "BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F" and it does not exist under CLSID.  Wouldn't a fresh windows 7 install fix this issue though?

rainyXP

rainyXP

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Sorry to hear that. Performing a clean install of Windows 7 should resolve the issue, however you mention you have already done that. In such case sadly you can only hope that another forum member finds a solution or you discover one. It would appear to be a known issue. :upset:

Dreamtraveler

Dreamtraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for responding rainyXP,

I'm going to replace the motherboard in a few days and see if that fixes the problem I'm experiencing. I'm hoping cause this computer puzzle has me stumped.