Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major network and driver issues after reboot WIN7

• Please log in to reply

babydollrox

babydollrox

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi, so I think I have about reached my knowledge capacity here and need expert help!

My Toshiba Satellite p850-138 laptop completely died on me and wouldn't boot, so I bought a Windows 7 Home Premium recovery DVD and rebooted my laptop from scratch - this all went fine, and now I can boot my laptop and run Windows 7 - but I have lots of issues.

Firstly I noticed I was unable to connect to the internet, the issue being that the system is adamantly unable to detect any networks ever. I troubleshooted this and realised I was missing a network adaptor & ethernet controller driver. This also brought my attention to many other issues with the laptop (screen resolution was a bit off, certain programs that require a graphics card driver wouldn't work, USB ports having issues) and I realised my system was now lacking LOADS of drivers!!

So I got online on my friend's laptop, downloaded from Toshiba what I understood to be all the correct drivers to fix these problems. I put them on a USB, transferred them to my laptop and installed them all. OK... but no not really, a few drivers appear to be taking effect, a lot don't. My main issue is that I installed a network adaptor driver and ethernet controller driver and STILL my laptop won't recognise ANY WIFI networks, so I can't connect it to the internet. This is the biggest issue for me, I need to be able to connect to the internet. Before when I troubleshooted the error I got was please install network adaptor driver/ethernet driver, but now the error I get is: "Plug an ethernet cable into this computer" OK, I can go out and buy an ethernet cable if I have to, but it's highly inconvenient as I will have to always place my laptop next to the router and still won't be able to connect to outside WIFI networks... AND I never needed to use an ethernet cable before to connect my laptop to the internet. If I can fix the internet problem I can probably work out the rest, but the internet is a HUGE problem for me and really hindering me in my work. (Graphic & Web Designer) For now I am borrowing a friend's old laptop, but it's in Korean and very basic and in no way a permanent fix - I want my laptop back!!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Usually what most people forget with a new install is the Chipset utility.  Go back to Toshiba and see if they have one.  The US version of their site doesn't recognize your model so I can't point out one to you.  I did find another site which claims you have the intel chipset 9.3.0.1030 so you can get it from intel.com if Toshiba doesn't have it.

Also make sure you have the WiFi turned on.  Sometimes they have a mechanical switch.

If all else fails buy the Ethernet cable and hook it up until you get all of the drivers.

Right click on Computer and select Manage and then Device Manager then View, Show Hidden Drivers.  Now look in the right pane for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on one and select properties then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.  Repeat for all yellow flagged devices.

babydollrox

babydollrox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for the advice - I downloaded and installed the correct chipset driver as suggested and rebooted the laptop, made sure the WIFI was turned on via the key on the keyboard... but still nothing. I'm still getting an error about an unplugged ethernet cable.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

A proper recovery DVD for the laptop should have installed the proper drivers although some might be outdated.

After the chipset driver you may have to install the other drivers again.

Right click on Computer and select Manage and then Device Manager. Look for any yellow ? or red !

Those indicate missing or bad drivers.

What do you have that are flagged? If you get the hardware ID's like Rkinner in post 2 asked for we can identify and/or find them.

babydollrox

babydollrox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I bought the recovery DVD from Ebay so it wouldn't necessarily have all the correct drivers for my computer

The Drivers in Device Manager that have a yellow error symbol are:

Under Display Adaptors:

- Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

Under Other Devices:

- Network Controller

- PCI Simple Communications Controller

- Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

- Unknown Device

- Unknown Device

I have been on the Toshiba Website trying to download and install drivers as similar to these as possible, Satellite p850-138 is no longer available, but if I type in Satellite P850 - there are a few other laptops, and I've been downloading installing drivers from those options, I have successfully installed the following network adaptor: "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller"

But still no wireless networks available.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I think you got cheated on ebay with that many Other Devices.

Right click on the Network Controller under Other devices.  Select Properties then Details. Change the Property to Hardware IDs.  It should look something like this:

[attachment=81347:driver.jpg]

Copy the top entry and tell us what it is.  That's probably your WiFi adapter.  That will tell us exactly which driver you need for it.

babydollrox

babydollrox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK so here is what I get when I do that:

Network_Controller.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK It's a Realtek RTL8723

Try downloading this driver:

http://support.toshi...ntentId=3395515

Save it then right click and Run As Admin.  I assume it is self extracting so just follow the instructions it gives you.  

If it doesn't like it then try this one:

http://support.lenov...nloads/ds039264

babydollrox

babydollrox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The first one I installed no problem, rebooted my laptop and it looked like it was acknowledging the driver, but alas it has made no difference whatsoever (network controller still yellow error and still can't find networks without ethernet cable)

I then tried installing the second one and got this error: (FYI I have plenty of disk space)

driver_error.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Where did you tell it to install?  Can't see with the error box in the way.

Try this one:

http://cdgenp01.csd....tc40186700f.exe

babydollrox

babydollrox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Awesome that's fixed it thank you!!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert