Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Updates (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 05 June 2016 - 03:29 AM

Hello JohnGo, Download then run the All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

dell Inspiron 5555 (7 months old) running win10 home.

My laptop stopped downloading windows updates a few months back.  When I first noticed that it would not download the updates, it would do about 10% and then stop and time out and tell me to retry.  As of late it will not download any before it tells me to retry.  I have gone through the settings several times, all to no success.

I would appreciate help to get this problem fixed.

JohnGo 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello JohnGo,

Download then run the All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I have completed all the steps you instructed.  The computer has searched, downloaded, and installed current updates. 

The only thing noteworthy, I believe, is that in the Repair Window I chose to run items: 2- prescan, 3- Check for File System Errors, 4- System File Check.

These are all considered optional.  Numbers 2 and 4 found errors, however it stated that the repair was not affected by these errors.

It stated I could fix the errors manually.  I don't know what these errors are.  Also, if the program created a log somewhere, I know not where.

Do you think these errors are worth pursuing?

Thank You for the update d'load fix.

JohnGo 

Strolchi

Strolchi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

How I will get an update for windows 10?

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Strolchi

Go back to the first page of this forum, find the appropriate topic and click on "start new topic".  Then state your question.  Your post in this thread might not get noticed by a technician.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I have completed all the steps you instructed.  The computer has searched, downloaded, and installed current updates. 

The only thing noteworthy, I believe, is that in the Repair Window I chose to run items: 2- prescan, 3- Check for File System Errors, 4- System File Check.

These are all considered optional.  Numbers 2 and 4 found errors, however it stated that the repair was not affected by these errors.

It stated I could fix the errors manually.  I don't know what these errors are.  Also, if the program created a log somewhere, I know not where.

Do you think these errors are worth pursuing?

Thank You for the update d'load fix.

JohnGo 

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, been rather hectic here  :(

Good news that the updates issue has been resolved.

Any repair logs should be found in C:\ Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs if there, upload them for us please.

You are welcome btw  :)

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

There is no folder named ...\Tweaking.com\WindowsRepair\Logs in  Program files or Program Files x86.

I'm ok with it as long as all continues to function normally.

JohnGo

Edited by JohnGo, 08 June 2016 - 05:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

See how it goes and if no problems after a couple of days post back and let us know please.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you JohnGo, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I've been using the computer to check the performance and everything is working as expected.  Thanks for your help resolving the problem.

JohnGo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Great news and thank you for getting back to us JohnGo  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)