Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't repair files possible malware infection [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Good news! I'm able to download and install updates again. I ran the fix it tool you suggested a second time and it fixed the problem.

I'm away from my computer right now so I'll have to run that batch file when I get back home.  Can I ask what it does? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Good news! I'm able to download and install updates again. I ran the fix it tool you suggested a second time and it fixed the problem.

Good.

I'm away from my computer right now so I'll have to run that batch file when I get back home. Can I ask what it does? Thanks for the help.

Acknowledged/you're welcome! The MiniToolBox log revealed the lack of any hosts file entries even for the default. So the batch file should sort that out and place the aforementioned default back in place etc.

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Thanks for the reply. I ran the batch file as you requested.

Do you think I can just leave IE as it is and switch to Firefox?

Edited by m8dman, 17 June 2016 - 07:34 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Thanks for the reply. I ran the batch file as you requested.

Acknowledged/you're welcome!

Do you think I can just leave IE as it is and switch to Firefox?

To be honest I think that is the best option at this juncture; since either a actual Repair Install of Windows 7 and or a actual reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System is not viable for your good self.

However to err on the side of caution best to disable IE as follows:

How to turn Internet Explorer off

I do advise you download and install Mozilla Firefox before doing so.

Once completed, since we have used some more tools again, download and run Delfix per my prior instructions in post #14.

Plus do bare in mind my previous online safety advice in the aforementioned post apart from the IE related etc...

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Looks like everything is running good again. Thanks for the all help Dakeyras!

I just got one more thing for you to look at then we can probably close this topic. Two folders appeared in My C drive after a I ran the Update fix it. They look like leftovers files from windows updates. Is it safe to delete or hide these folders?

Pics attached below.

Attached Thumbnails

• folder 1.jpg
  • folder 2.jpg

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Looks like everything is running good again. Thanks for the all help Dakeyras!

Good and you're most welcome!

Is it safe to delete or hide these folders?

Aye fine to delete them, unfortunately Windows 7 has a habit of creating such. Delete them yourself/empty the Recycle Bin and or use the Windows inbuilt Disk Cleanup to do so etc.

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Okay thanks for the info.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.