Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Performance Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

DLR20897

DLR20897

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey Guys!

So long story short, this computer is terrible. I'm no stranger to hardware, so don't be afraid to be technical with me.

The computer is an HP 110-459 . We live in Canada (So price things in CAD please). The computer has a few problems. The RAM usage when opening certain programs (Mainly Logos Bible Programs and Firefox) sky rockets, and when Logos is opened, the disk usage and activity tim hits 100% for minutes, straight. It's using an old APU (AMD E1 6010). 4GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM. 2 SATA Ports (Blah!)

http://support.hp.co...ument/c04483132

Yeah.. Pretty terrible. That being said, initial results would lead me to believe that the HDD is bottlenecking the rest of the performance of the system. (RAM only hits 75% usage standard load from him)

So, I'm thinking that his drive needs to be replaced. We don't need to worry about mass storage, we have a NAS computer of sorts being used for that. Would you guys agree, disagree? If we replace the drive, we do not need Windows, we have a full retail copy.

We're also looking at upgrading RAM to 8GB or 16GB. Agree or Disagree? I'm worried about that PSU though. It's a max output of 65W, but being from a provider like HP, I'm guessing it's not giving 65W.

We'd like to keep this as cheap as possible. I have an SSD we can try on his system (I have a copy of WIndows (FUll Retail)). So we can test my theory. I'd just like some input, suggestions and pointers. I'm "good" but not as good as you all.

Cheers!

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

first thing to do is test with just the ssd you have and then see if you need anything else, you may find you don't.

:popcorn:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    DLR20897,

Spec wise I`m not so sure that it is the HDD that is causing the poor performance, unless it is low on free storage that is.

8GB of RAM is a step in the right direction.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

DLR20897

DLR20897

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi Terry and Phillpower. I appreciate your responses. Sadly the building (The computer is in a Church) isn't open today. However, it is tomorrow so I'll run up and get started on Speccy. Is the PSU going to be a problem is we upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 8GB? (Or the SSD, which can be tested tomorrow as well.)

Edit: Fixed your name, sorry Phill!

Edited by DLR20897, 08 June 2016 - 01:51 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello DLR20897,

The impact of adding another 4GB of RAM would be minimal and would be more than covered if you swap out the HDD for an SSD, this because SSDs draw less power than a stock HDD.

One of us will be around tomorrow and will be able to take a look at your Speccy report etc.

Never even noticed the dropped letter l until you mentioned it  :)

DLR20897

DLR20897

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello DLR20897,

The impact of adding another 4GB of RAM would be minimal and would be more than covered if you swap out the HDD for an SSD, this because SSDs draw less power than a stock HDD.

One of us will be around tomorrow and will be able to take a look at your Speccy report etc.

Never even noticed the dropped letter l until you mentioned it  :)

I will give Speccy a shot in about an hour. I have a few errands to run first. I'm going to hold off on the SSD testing  until the weekend, that way it doesn't affect my system as much nor his working time. (I'm also just about to start my exam period, so schedules are tight right now.)

I really appreciate the time and help!

Cheers,

DLR

BTW: you can just call me DLR, no need for the numbers!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem and thanks for the update DLR  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you DLR, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.