Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving Data Storage

• Please log in to reply

SkyXero

SkyXero

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

I have an SSD (120) GB, but I need more storage. If I got a 240+ SSD is there a way to move the data from the 120 to the new one?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday SkyXero .

Yes, You can relocate the User Folders, My Docs, My Music, etc.   You can also run selected programs, less often used, from the storage drive, i.e. Office.

Rather than using a SSD for storage, expensive if you have heaps of music and video files as even a 500GB may not be enough, a better option is to use a 1TB or larger HDD.

Please tell us what type of computer you have, pre built, like Dell/HP, brand and model, or the specs if a custom build?

What OS is installed?

Boice

Boice

• Pip
  • 6 posts

You can clone SSD to larger SSD through AOMEI Backupper or else so you don’t need to reinstall Windows and applications. It allows you to clone only OS or the entire disk. The cloned SSD will remain bootable like the original one. Cloning MBR disk to GPT disk is supported, vice versa.