Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 10 slow

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Rosie O'Brien

Rosie O'Brien

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I upgraded to Win 10 Nov 2015. 6 weeks ago (6months after installation) my computer went really slow. When I unplugged the dongle/modem  it went fast.

My SP said they were not the issue but replaced it. All good for a couple of weeks then it slows again.

I contacted Microsoft who said let us change a few settings and all will be well. If not you have a hard drive problem. And to support this the hard drive played up and the auto tool fixed it. All worked well until it died.

It was so slow it said it would take over a day to copy a file to an external drive.

So I bought a new computer. It worked fine for 2hours. And yup internet slowed to 39 mins to download a 7mb file which my phone does in 2 secs when on the same WiFi service

Plus I disconnect the old computer from the internet and suddenly it file transfers really fast.

My SP say it is not them. It is a new computer. Sometimes it is speed as expected other times really slow. I have had the new computer for less than 12 hours

the speedtest had the speed at 5.8 upload so it should have done the file in second

Edge was the fastest, Firefox said 39mins, Edge said 11 mins (and took it too)

Does anyone have any suggestions

cheers

Rosie

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Rosie O'Brien,

That does sound like a poor internet connection, not necessarily the physical side of it but something like the amount of online traffic at any one time, we can take a look at your end of things though.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.