Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 startup issue

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Keniwong

Keniwong

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I've just formatted to Windows 10, and is getting a very annoying startup problem; windows couldn't startup and the screen shown in the attached file will appear. No matter how many times i hard-reset the PC, the same screen shows up.

Since I've just formatted the PC, software issue is ruled out. Therefore, somehow beyond my comprehension, I managed to find a temporary solution to start windows by unplugging the SATA data cable of my HDD, and plugging it back in. However, the issue recurs the next time I start the PC.

Dear all computer experts out there, I wish to find a long-term solution to my problem, please give me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160612_210753.jpg

Advertisements

tapwindows

tapwindows

• Pip
  • 3 posts

welcome to GT .I got this problem before , it mean your system is broken. you need to restore it. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I've just formatted to Windows 10, and is getting a very annoying startup problem; windows couldn't startup and the screen shown in the attached file will appear. No matter how many times i hard-reset the PC, the same screen shows up.

Since I've just formatted the PC, software issue is ruled out. Therefore, somehow beyond my comprehension, I managed to find a temporary solution to start windows by unplugging the SATA data cable of my HDD, and plugging it back in. However, the issue recurs the next time I start the PC.

Dear all computer experts out there, I wish to find a long-term solution to my problem, please give me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

:welcome:    Keniwong,

Tip

To ensure and so that I can see that you will receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

somehow beyond my comprehension, I managed to find a temporary solution to start windows by unplugging the SATA data cable of my HDD, and plugging it back in. 

This may suggest that it is the HDD or SATA connection that has a problem, Windows does not self heal itself when offline and the fact that it does boot into Windows after the HDD has been physically disconnected suggests that your OS is ok.

What I suggest, once the computer has booted into Windows;

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

When you post back, provide as much information as you can about your computer, if an OEM such as Dell or HP, post the brand and model name or number + tell us if the Windows 10 install was an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 or if the hard drive has been fully formatted and a clean install of Windows 10 was done from a Windows 10 DVD or ISO.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Keniwong, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Keniwong

Keniwong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Dear Phillpower2,

I'm very sorry for the late reply. I did not get any notification on my email inbox on the replies to this post, even though i think i checked that option. 

An update to the ongoing issue: I've got frustrated so i just detached all SATA links to my HDDs except the one to my SSD that runs my Windows. It's been 2 weeks, and the issue hasn't repeated since. So i think your initial guess might be correct: that it's a problem with the SATA connection, most probably the Motherboard contact point.

FYI, the Windows 10 on my PC was a clean install from an ISO, and my rig has been self assembled ie not OEM.

Thanks for your help, Phil. I appreciate it. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Keniwong,

Thank you for getting back to us with an update.

Have you tried connecting one additional HDD at a time and on each of the other SATA ports.

Keniwong

Keniwong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi PhillPower,

I'll do that soon, i guess that will find out which port is problematic. However, is there a reason to believe that there's some sort of software or drivers incompatibility involved? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update Keniwong  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Keniwong, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Keniwong

Keniwong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Update for my issue: 

I've detached all my HDDs except the SSD (w/ OS) for 2 weeks now, and the same screen hasn't shown since. As I was just thinking I might have pinpointed the issue (MB connectors problem), another startup problem occurred, which I print screened below.

Now i suspect it might be SSD problem.

However, I managed to bypass that screen after numerous restarts.

I'll continue to monitor the situation, I do appreciate any suggestions, in the meantime.

Thanks, Phil.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20160721-WA0019.jpeg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can you post the brand and model name or number for both the motherboard and SSD.

When you first start up the computer see if you are able to get into the BIOS, if yes, are the correct time and date showing.

Keniwong

Keniwong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'm using Asus M5A97 mb and Plextor PX-128M5S ssd.

I remember the date and time was correct.

Thanks for prompt reply.

Kenny

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Make sure that CSM and Fast Boot are both disabled in the BIOS please Ken.

I remember the date and time was correct.

Was this in the BIOS when you first restarted the computer, this is important as computers that have direct internet connection can correct the time and date after a restart etc.