Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DEll XPS 1645 - Orange Battery Light Blinking (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 July 2016 - 04:14 AM

Overheating affects electrical hardware in various ways and the idea of removing the battery is to see if the computer shuts down when under heavy load, if it does, the battery is removed as a poss... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

OK, I just want to check: The "required steps" means: Power down, Safe Mode, Backup registry, Restore point, Run Repairs Twice.

Also, if it means anything, I've attached an image showing the file folders of the loaded drivers, the pre-scan log i just did (i figured, Why not?), and the SFC scan log (which is titled CBS.log -- can that be right? It's the only log i have w/the correct time stamp.)

So, unless the attached changes anything, please confirm my steps listed above as correct.

THX, PHILL!

-Pbot

Attached Thumbnails

• CropImage1.jpg

Attached Files

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

OK, ran the Repair. It didn't fix the problem with Windows update.

and I cannot run seatools b/c I do not have the MS framework.net...which I cannot get without Winsow update.

should we try that Zip file that I posted about? Can you tell me how it works?

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey, Phill, 

I've a couple of replies above (including scan logs and the like), but, I was wondering: Should I just try DL'ing Framework? 

http://download.cnet.com/s/framework/

Without the most recent updates on my pc, could that hurt at all? With it, I'd be able to run SeaTools and maybe even other repair tools if needed. Let me know your thoughts on this (and on the above results).

THANK YOU!!

Phlegmbot

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Apologies for the delay getting back to you, other commitments are taking up my time at the moment. 

Try the download from here

It could be later on today or tomorrow before I can get back to you I`m afraid  :(

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey, Phill, thanks for warning me about the time it might take to get back to me...

Only really looking at the HDD atm due to the recent problem that you have had with it but fwiw the Dell driver installation order is here

What I would do, run the Windows AIO tool again (only the required tests) and run Seatools for Windows.

OK, I DL'd Framework, which has allowed me to run Seatools, except I don't know WHAT in Seatools I'm supposed to run. I no longer need it for HDD stability, and I don't see what in there could test/fix the Windows issue (i.e., that Windows update won't work).

I can DL and install this if you think it makes sense at this point:

https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=5582(in the past, when Windows automatically DLs this, as you likely know, it leads to other updates)

I can run that other repair tool from Tweaking.com once more if you think it could help in some way. (I doubt it at this point, but I do have Framework now if that makes any lick of difference.)

If possible, with your help, I can DL all of the drivers I need, put them on the desktop for easy access. REMOVE ALL of them (save for whatever I need to get into Windows Safe Mode), REINSTALL them in the order per the Dell website (which I would also need your help determining...).

I may try other things in the meantime, but I'll post if I do.

THX!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for being so understanding PBot  :thumbsup:

As per my reply #33

Only really looking at the HDD atm due to the recent problem that you have had with it but fwiw the Dell driver installation order is here

What I would do, run the Windows AIO tool again (only the required tests) and run Seatools for Windows.

After having the time to look at your CBS and AIO logs I suspect that you are going to need to do a repair installation of Windows 7 to be able to resolve the update issue and most certainly before you try and upgrade to Windows 10, this because Windows 10 will not install if the present OS is corrupt or is not fully up to date, the following is what is flagged up in your CBS log;

Failed to shred identity: Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-LanguagePack [HRESULT = 0x80070057 - E_INVALIDARG]

If you Google this yourself you will see that it cannot be fixed without a repair installation of the present OS.

Do you have a Windows 7 SP1 or Dell equivelent disk and the 25 digit MS product key, the latter in case you are asked for it.

Windows 7 repair installation tutorial courtesy of Brink here

I would not do any of the above without first confirming that the HDD is ok by running both the long and short Seatools tests.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Replies bolded below (w/in the quote box, 'cause it was easier...):

Thanks for being so understanding PBot  :thumbsup:

As per my reply #33

After having the time to look at your CBS and AIO logs I suspect that you are going to need to do a repair installation of Windows 7 to be able to resolve the update issue and most certainly before you try and upgrade to Windows 10, this because Windows 10 will not install if the present OS is corrupt or is not fully up to date, the following is what is flagged up in your CBS log;

Oh, no-no, I wasn't looking to upgrade to Win10. That's just an ad at the top of the page you were looking at. The link I included in the last post was to Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86). ;]

Failed to shred identity: Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-LanguagePack [HRESULT = 0x80070057 - E_INVALIDARG]

If you Google this yourself you will see that it cannot be fixed without a repair installation of the present OS.

Do you have a Windows 7 SP1 or Dell equivelent disk and the 25 digit MS product key, the latter in case you are asked for it.

I don't have a working DVD drive.  But it looks like Brink has a link I can use. Will it be OK if I use that link instead of my Dell disc? (I plan on ordering a DVD drive in the next day or, but it'll take a few days to get here of course.)

Windows 7 repair installation tutorial courtesy of Brink here

I would not do any of the above without first confirming that the HDD is ok by running both the long and short Seatools tests.

OK! WILL DO!!  Please let me know your thoughts on the Brink link vs. DVD option. 

THANKS AGAIN!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Crossed wires perhaps as I was referring to what you said in your reply #3;

The computer has NOT yet been upgraded (although I plan to do that before the end of the month).

You can use a USB thumb drive to download the ISO to and use that for the repair, your PC will need to be set to boot from a USB device in the BIOS + you may need your 25 digit MS product key.

You are welcome  :)

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey, Phill, 

Question: So, the last time I posted on GeekstoGo -- when I had messaged you here on the site for some input -- I had created a bootable USB for a repair. At that point, I believe i had SP2. At this point I only have SP1 (My windows version reads as Windows Home Premium & then a line under that state SP1).

So how do I check if this is a USB that I can use for this situation? (I was afraid to just hit setup while in Windows.)

I've attached a screencap of the USB files in an explorer window, figured that might help you direct me.

(My Dell OS disc does NOT have a proper Windows product key -- I think it's a proprietary Dell product key. I do have the product key for what I have on this flash drive.)

THANKS!

Attached Thumbnails

• USB.jpg

Edited by Phlegmbot, 16 July 2016 - 11:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi PBot,

I believe i had SP2. At this point I only have SP1 (My windows version reads as Windows Home Premium & then a line under that state SP1).

Microsoft have never released a SP2 for Windows 7, what they did release was a Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup which contains all updates released from February 2011 onwards, information on this here

We have no way of knowing what is on your USB I`m afraid so what I suggest you do is check the ISO with Qemu, not used this myself and was made aware of it by fellow member FreeBooter  :thumbsup: and it does work, Qemu here this neat little program will tell you if your ISO is bootable or not.

(My Dell OS disc does NOT have a proper Windows product key -- I think it's a proprietary Dell product key. I do have the product key for what I have on this flash drive.)

Any Dell key would not work in any event so you would need to use your own product key, did you purchase this key yourself, this is important as you need to be 100% certain that you are allowed to re-use it.

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Any Dell key would not work in any event so you would need to use your own product key, did you purchase this key yourself, this is important as you need to be 100% certain that you are allowed to re-use it.

Do you mean the key for what's on the USB drive? No, but a guy at the Windows store gave it to me when he helped me w/my last HDD issue. Here's the convo where I discuss that I have the boot USB and that I tried a Windows Upgrade w/it for Windows Repair: http://www.geekstogo...loop/?p=2560040-- I don't know if that will give the info.

RE: QEMU:

I'm unsure how Qemu can help. It says it reads iso files and nothing in that snap shot I showed you is an ISO. Did you look at the image?

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

OK...well, I found a  product key amongst my Dell discs. I put it in on this page:

https://www.microsof...wnload/windows7

It's downloading MS Office Home and Student 2010 English. Isn't that just stuff like MS Word and the like?! Or is that the OS?? 

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm just really confused now. 

If it is just MS Office...why would it even DL on the Windows 7 page?!

ugh. I think I might have to just go to the Windows store, ask them to give me a Win7 image on my USB drive.

p.s. yeah, it's just an exe file. Not an iso. What the...?!

Edited by Phlegmbot, 17 July 2016 - 07:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

RE: QEMU:

I'm unsure how Qemu can help. It says it reads iso files and nothing in that snap shot I showed you is an ISO. Did you look at the image?

Qemu is meant to tell you if an ISO is bootable and if Qemu tells you that the ISO is good but your computer will not boot from it then there is a problem elsewhere, incorrect boot order or UEFI BIOS settings are two such things that can prevent a computer from booting from an ISO.

No idea as to why MS Office downloaded instead of Windows 7, very strange  :headscratch: maybe the info here will help and shine some light on your Office as opposed to Windows 7 ISO.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey, Phill!

OK, so here's where I'm at: I tried to get a disc image, I cannot. Because the repair shop f#$@ed up the install, my Product Key isn't on the PC (I used this great Notepad trick to see it: http://www.howtogeek...product-keys/).The repair shop has since sent me a product key...which also didn't work. *sigh*

I've seen online that another possible repair is manually DL'ing an SP1 update. Should I try that? 

Is this the right one?: https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=5842

Edited by Phlegmbot, 20 July 2016 - 10:57 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I tried to get a disc image, I cannot. Because the repair shop f#$@ed up the install, my Product Key isn't on the PC

The above is a concern as it suggests that an unlicenced OS has been installed by someone, when the MS servers detect this the end user is unable to install updates and will get a Windows not genuine message on the screen, have you had such a message.

Two things to do;

Use Magical Jellybean keyfinder free to get the product key for your present Windows 7 installation, compare it to what you had previously and reveal it to no one.

Please download WVCheck from;

Latest EXE Download
Latest EXE Download - Mirror
Latest ZIP Download

Double click WVCheck.exe. (If you downloaded the zipped version you will need to extract it.)

As indicated by the prompt, this program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.

Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file and attach them to your next reply for us please.

I've seen online that another possible repair is manually DL'ing an SP1 update. Should I try that? 

Most likely not an option after such a long time but in some instances Windows 7 SP1 can be uninstalled, see here