Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows 10 Start Menu (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Gregg123 , 02 October 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hi Guys,I eventually found an easy solution to this - incase anyone has a similar problem. I was nervous about the Refresh, and just with me travelling a lot & spending my life on the laptop, i... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi Guys,

I set up my Windows 10 Start Menu a few months ago, and everything was where I wanted it. Now I am trying to Pin something to the Start Menu, but there is no option to do that when I right click it.

I did some research and found out this can happen, but now I have tried to Pin anything to the Start Menu & NOTHING has the option to do that.

Finally, I now don't seem able to move any of the tiles on the Start Menu at all - or even Remove them from the Start Menu. All I am able to do is turn off Live tiles!

Help!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Gregg123,

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Gregg123, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi, sorry had a family emergency. I have downloaded the program, just want to clear some time to follow the instructions correctly. Give me a couple of days for an update.

Thanks!

Edited by Gregg123, 11 July 2016 - 04:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries and thanks for letting us know  :thumbsup:

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi, OK I made a start - I did the Power Reset, Rebooted in Safe Mode then moved to Step 2. I know it's optional, but I thought I would go through the whole process. So, Step 2 is already showing errors. Should I post them here? If so, what do I need to do - or should I move straight to the Reguired parts?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Complete the required tests please.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

OK, so I did the 'Repairs' part, followed all the instructions - so in Safe Mode, I ran it twice as well. But in terms of the Start Menu issue - still makes no difference I am afraid.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Apologies for the delay getting back to you, other commitments are taking up my time at the moment. 

Please try a Windows 10 refresh, steps courtesy of Brink here

It could be later on today or tomorrow before I can get back to you I`m afraid 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Gregg123, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi, I am waiting for a suitable time to do the Refresh - I spend more time on this laptop than doing anything else (including sleep!) and therefore I must say I am slightly nervous about the prospect of a 'Refresh'.

Is there anything I should do to prepare for this? How can I know I will be able to get it back to where it was? For example, it says that all new programs are removed but files are untouched. What about things like my emails in Microsoft Outlook?

I didn't download any programs from the Windows store, & I have a number of programs including drivers for printers etc. that I need for work. What should I do to ensure that nothing is lost?

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Back up all of your present drivers with Double Driver which is free, see here

Don`t use MS outlook myself so not sure how it works but your email account is not stored on your computer but on a server elsewhere, I would however forward any emails that you wish to keep to another computer that you have access to, once done if there is any problem with them on your Windows 10 computer simply email them back to yourself - I would make a note of any important email addresses separately.

When refreshing a new folder will be created on your desktop with a list of content that will need to be reinstalled, see my attachment below after refreshing earlier on this year;

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Gregg123, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi Guys,

I eventually found an easy solution to this - incase anyone has a similar problem. I was nervous about the Refresh, and just with me travelling a lot & spending my life on the laptop, it took my some time to ever get in a position to fix this!!

Anyway, I got googling a couple of nights ago, and this popped up & worked perfectly!!!

http://www.winhelpon...issing-windows/ - as simple as run the registry fix, & restart. Now everything is as it should be. I think it was some other program was blocking my ability to pin and move stuff around on the Start menu.

Thanks to Phill for his assistance.

Hope this helps someone!

Edited by Gregg123, 02 October 2016 - 05:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thank you for letting us know Gregg123  :thumbsup:

Anything related to the registry is best left well alone unless all other options have been tried and checked by a person that knows their way around the registry, tech forums on the internet are littered with threads regarding registry fixes that have gone wrong but fortunately for yourself you have found a working fix, some offered by certain software companies only make matters worse and then payment be asked for to tidy up the mess that they created.

You are welcome btw Greg  :)