Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dd for windows - dd linux command via Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

MJBCCS

MJBCCS

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am trying to use DD For Windows on Windows 98. Its a long story but it has to be on this PC with Windows 98 as it has a removable optical disk drive attached that can only be seen via this PC. I am trying to extract data from a disk in this drive. The problem is when I try and run dd --list from the DOS command prompt to get the disk volume information that forms part of my command to extract it says this is not supported on Windows 95/98.

Please bare in mind I can't access the drive through its drive letter at all or use any DOS commands from its drive letter command prompt.

Please also note that it is not the label I am looking for but the long alpha numeric e.g Volume {aer54545h-3ede-11de-b8c6-3ede-11de}

How do I get the long alpha numeric name of the drive? Thanks in anticipation for your help. 

Please bare in mind I can't access the drive through its drive letter at all or use any DOS commands from its drive letter command prompt.

Advertisements