Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fonts

• Please log in to reply

jbcteacher

jbcteacher

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I installed too many fonts. Is there a way to get back to the original fonts that came with the computer, and remove any unneccessary registry files that are tied to them.

Thanks in advance,

Joanne

Advertisements

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
If you are using xp or ME, you can return to a restore point before you installed the files.

Nearly all windows recognized fonts go into the folder (directory) c:\windows\fonts

If the programs that installed the fonts is recognized by Windows, go to the control panel and uninstall the addition.

If that is not possible, then you will have to do it manually. It will probably be better if you have another system that is configured the same way as yours was, and copy the fonts folder to a disk or other media, and then add it to your corrupted system.

Do not delete anything until you know you have a replacement for the original files.

If you do not have another system, you can Identify the fonts you use on a regular basis and delete the rest.
Do this by going the fonts folder, selecting ALL, then while holding the "ctrl" key down, you unselect the ones you want to keep.

As a last resort, save your personal files and reload windows defaults from the disk after you have removed all the current fonts. Using this method will overwrite any preferrences you have made to your system. But it will restore the original fonts.

Good luck

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am so stupid some times....

Remove the fonts this way...

Open the file explorer, go to c:windows\fonts

right click in the window and select view>details
then click on the top menu for the file dates

The files will sort by date, keep the older ones, select and delete the newer ones.

Then go to www.winfiles.com or www.tucows.com and get a free registry cleaner that will identify the orphaned links in your registry.

Sorry for being brain dead on my last post.

Good luck