Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP

• Please log in to reply

lenharley

lenharley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have to copy/backup e-mails.
The Method that has partly worked
I create a backup folder on the desktop, then I select the e-mails on the Right in a particular folder, then I drag and drop to the desktop backup folder. From there to CD.
This works fine, until you get 2 e-mails with the same subject.....(Quite often when people have used the Reply) button
Then the "Confirm File Replace" box pops-up!
Because this "file" has the same "name" it gives you 2 options
(1)Yes-Replace, which deletes the first e-mail I have just copied!
(2)No-Which means the second e-mail is NOT backed-up/copied! ;) :

I have tried Right-Clicking the e-mails to rename them...no such option
I have tried dragging the complete OE folders to the Backup folder...Not allowed

Result: Only a partial backup, many emails excluded.

I have tried 2 other methods
(1) "Copying .dbx files" as here http://www.showshown...m/email-backup/
…………They would not open or show when I put the CD in another PC… despite following all the dodges in the link above for finding them.

(2) "Copying the .pst file". NO SUCH THING can be found on my PC. And yes, I have set Explorer to show hidden files ;)

Please Help, if you can. Sorry this seems so basic, but I can't find an answer on the web. How does everone else cope with this? :tazz:

Thanks
Len

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
copying the dbx folder is the correct procedure

maybe if you could explain more specifically your goal?

One thing you need to know is that the dbx files from one computer will go in a similar, but not exact same folder in the other, since the alphanumeric identity is randomly generated.

lenharley

lenharley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
Thanks Gerry for the advice.
I have tried and tried again to copy the dbx files.

Trouble is, it just won't work!
I can copy the dbx files to CD OK.
But when I try to read them on another PC (Running on ME). They just won't open!(Often its a message such as "...(CD title)...is not a valid Win32 app")
I have tried copying them to a new folder on the Desktop and deleting the Read-Only attributes.
I then copy/paste or drag/drop them into the OE folder with the same-type pre-existing dbx folders (ie Windows/App data/Identies/Microsft/OE) ..........But I still can't find theses messages in OE when I open it.

I have tried creating similarly named local-folders in OE, and then dragging the dbx files into them...no good, the folder just opens a new-mail-form with the dbx as an attachment (Won't open...not a valid win32 appp)

I have tried importing them from the location in Explorer. I get a message saying they can not be accessed or may be in use in OE. But OE has to be open to do the Import??

HELP!!!!! :tazz:

Len