Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need your expert advice (again)

• Please log in to reply

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey all, I have two problems
1. I want to get all the files of my old hard drive and put them on my new hard drive however my old hard drive is an IDE and my new one is a SATA. When ever i have them both connect the IDE hard drive loads first even tho it is set to slave and in BIOS i make my SATA hard drive higher on the boot list.

2. I have an ASUS AX800 graphics card and when i first started playing Counter-Strike: Source BETA i was on around 80-115 FPS however now i am on 40-60 FPS. I want to go back to the former!! How do i fix this! Could my card be broken? Is there something wrong with CS:S fps readings? I have downloaded the latest RADEON drivers however they dont do anything? Should i download the ASUS drivers?

Please help!!!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

1. I want to get all the files of my old hard drive and put them on my new hard drive however my old hard drive is an IDE and my new one is a SATA. When ever i have them both connect the IDE hard drive loads first even tho it is set to slave and in BIOS i make my SATA hard drive higher on the boot list.

Is there an option in your BIOS to boot from the SATA drive? Usually under boot order, or something similar.

Source BETA i was on around 80-115 FPS however now i am on 40-60 FPS. I want to go back to the former!! How do i fix this!

That's why it's a BETA. <_< I wouldn't be too concerened. The benchmark was maybe invalid, or it is now. Give it some time and see what happens. ATI just released their latest driver yesterday. Have you tried it?

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

ATI just released their latest driver yesterday. Have you tried it?

Nope, well maybe what is it called? Well when ever i am playing i get 40 - 50 FPS however when i run there video stress test it says i average 108.1 FPS a second? So i have no idea whats going on <_< ! Also it doesn't feel jerky, i have been playing CS for years and i have played on some bad boxes and i know what 30 fps feels like however it does feel the same still smooth.

Is there an option in your BIOS to boot from the SATA drive? Usually under boot order, or something similar.

Having a look now.

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I tryed to get my HD prob fix but it didn't work.
It always boots to the IDE one and when i change it it doesn't boot just stays at the POST screen :S.

Also with my FPS prob. It only started doing this after the update? Could that be a reason?

These are the updates, dont see anything that could cause my FPS prob?
Counter-Strike Source Beta Update Released
September 8, 2004, 5:59 pm · valve
An update to the Counter-Strike: Source beta has just been released. Steam will update itself automatically when you restart. Here is a list of the changes:

COUNTER-STRIKE: SOURCE BETA CHANGES / ADDITIONS:
* Stopped spectator camera jumping to the wrong player.
* Several fixes to allow Windows 98*admin to work.
* Added spray-logo import ability in the Options dialog.
* Added support for binding non QWERTY (i.e. AZERTY) keyboard keys.
* Improved player movement on high latency links (smoothing out the experience).
* Improved auto-pickup behavior for CS weapons.
* Fixed splash screen not showing up immediately when starting the game in full screen in some cases.
* Players switched via mp_autoteambalance do not lose items, score, or equipment.
* Fixed upper-case characters not being usable in the buy or team selection menus.
* Terrorists now win if all hostages are dead and round timer expires.
* Enabled message of the day.
* Added extra CPU support for Linux dedicated server.

Edited by Ntd, 11 September 2004 - 07:48 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did your new hard drive come with any software? They usually include a utlity for copying data to your new drive, and boots from a CD or floppy drive.

I really wouldn't worry about your FPS too much. I'm sure more updates and patches will follow.

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Yeah it came with a copy of O.E.M Nero thats all. :S But i cant install it doesn't read it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What kind of hard drive is it?

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Its a Quantum Fireball hard drive.m 15 gigs.

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey, well seince it boots win 98 when i have the IDE HD and the SATA HD pluged in i had the idea of booting into win 98 and just transfer the files over like i would in XP however the SATA HD drive does not show up!!! All it has it my old stupied hard drive!!! What do i do? :S

Edited by Ntd, 15 September 2004 - 04:07 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Is that the new hard drive? Quantum has been aquired my Maxtor. Try their MaxBlast software tools:
http://www.maxtor.co...s&downloadID=22

res

res

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Disable the IDE channels in the BIOS Main menu then boot.
res