Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WLAN Drivers

• Please log in to reply

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I am currently running a Shuttle XPC (SB65G2) while I am on vacation this summer. This SFF box comes with a built in 802.11 wireless card. When I arrived, I started to look for a open wireless network. I found 2 WEP encrypted networks. The next day, when I came back to search for another in another area, all of my device drivers had been deleted. The card is no longer being recognised, I have a feeling that my registry is screwed as well, but I haven't taken the time to look through it yet. So far, this is what I have done in an attempt to remedy the problem:

Uninstalled/reinstalled the software that came boxed
Updated all the mobo and bios
reinstalled the USB 2.0 drivers
tried to rollback the drivers, but the backups are gone as well
took the card out, and then reinstalled it

I'm not sure what happened to cause this problem, seeing as the location is the only thing that had changed in regards to the system. No settings were changed and nothing was installed prior to the death of my WLAN card. I watched some anime (Akira) and then took a nap. I doubt that this was the problem, but you never know. The only thing that I can think to do, is go with a fresh install. But that is long and boring and I don't want to. Plus, seeing as this is vacation, I don't have all my install discs for all of my software. This is starting to get on my nerves, mostly because I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated...

Advertisements

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Well, I asume that you have access to the internet, since you are typing this...

Did you try DLing the drivers and installing them? Is that what you meant by:

Uninstalled/reinstalled the software that came boxed

If not, try that.

1nfection

1nfection

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Yeah, I DL'd and then installed. They were the updated drivers from the OEM. I don't have the disc that came with me, but I did use the same drivers that I was using at home. Someone had to have screwed with my box. That's the only thing that I can think that would cause this. I'm running AdAware and scanning for virus'. But yeah, I did DL and reinstall.

As for internet...I'm at the office. That's were I DL and then I transfer using a Flash stick.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sp1 or sp2?

1nfection

1nfection

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
SP2 with the latest patches. As of last week, before I left home.